I love spring, so April is an especially fun month for me. Today, I’m sharing my calendar of April themed activities for kids. You’ll find all my unit studies and holiday posts listed by themes in my “Should You Use Unit Studies?” post. Here you’ll find lots of themes for April according to holiday or calendar observances.
You’ll find more links for calendar observances in my “Enliven Your Homeschool with Some Calendar Fun” post. The post has links to resources for calendar observances for any level. I’m focusing here on April themes for preschoolers through early elementary, although I’m adding some calendar observances for pre-teens and teens.
Note: Be sure to click the images in my Memetales photo collage. You’ll actually go to the post containing the image!
Monthly Observances for April
Monthly observances can be used for themed activities throughout the month or for one or two weeks during the month.
- Deaf History Month (Mar 13-Apr 15)
- National Autism Awareness Month – Montessori-Inspired Special Needs Support
- Car Care Month
- National Card and Letter Writing Month
- Confederate History Month
- National Financial Literacy Month
- National Humor Month
- Jazz Appreciation Month
- National Kite Flying Month
- National Mathematics Education Month
- Month of the Military Child
- Month of the Young Child
- Pet First Aid Awareness Month
- National Poetry Month- Montessori-Inspired Poetry Activities
- Prevention of Animal Cruelty Month
- School Library Month
- National Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month – Discussing Difficult Topics with Kids: What’s Worked for Me
- National Soyfoods Month
- World Habitat Awareness Month
- National Youth Sports Safety Month
Spring Themes and Activities
Montessori-Inspired Spring Themes and Activities has lots of ideas for spring unit studies.
April Calendar Observances with Changing Dates
- Lent (some years continues into April) – Montessori-Based Lenten Activities
- Easter (some years in March and some in April) – Montessori-Inspired Easter Activities, Montessori-Inspired Easter Activities (2012), and Free Spring Math Printables and Montessori-Inspired Spring Math Activities.
- National Library Week, 2nd Full Week in April (April 14-20 in 2013) – How to Help Your Child Treasure Books, Montessori-Inspired Ideas for Enjoying Books with Your Child or Students
- Week of the Young Child (April 14–20, 2013, April 6–12, 2014, April 12–18, 2015, April 10–16, 2016, April 23–29, 2017)
- Astronomy Day (April 20 in 2013) – Astronaut Unit, Montessori-Inspired Astronomy Activities, Montessori-Inspired Moon Unit, Montessori-Inspired Solar System Activities and World Space Week 2012 Blog Hop
- Take Your Child to Work Day, 4th Thursday of April
- National Arbor Day, 4th Friday of April – Montessori-Inspired Autumn Leaf Unit (many of the leaf activities work in the spring as well)
- Screen-Free Week – 2013: April 29-May 5; 2014: April 28-May 4 – Montessori-Inspired Screen-Free Activities
April Dates that Can Be Used for Themed Activities
Calendar observances are great for mini units or even units that might last the whole month.
- April 1: April Fools Day – April Fools’ Day Pinterest Board
- April 1: One Cent Day
- April 2: World Autism Awareness Day - Montessori-Inspired Special Needs Support
- April 2: Author Hans Christian Anderson Born, 1805 (For a thorough children’s author birthday calendar, see the right sidebar of Happy Birthday Author)
- April 2: International Children’s Book Day – How to Help Your Child Treasure Books, Montessori-Inspired Ideas for Enjoying Books with Your Child or Students, Montessori-Inspired Language Activities
- April 3: First Documented Ice Cream Sundae Made, 1892
- April 3: Find a Rainbow Day – Montessori-Inspired Rainbow Activities.
- April 3: Pony Express established, 1860
- April 4: First U.S. flag approved, 1818
- April 5: National Read a Road Map Day
- April 5: Educator Booker T. Washington Born, 1856
- April 6: North Pole Discovered, 1898 – Montessori-Inspired Arctic and Antarctic Unit.
- April 6: U.S. entered World War I, 1917
- April 7: No Housework Day
- April 7: World Health Day, established 1948
- April 9: Robert E. Lee surrendered to Ulysses S. Grant, 1865
- April 10: Encourage a Young Writer Day
- April 10: National Sibling Day
- April 10: U.S. Patent System Established, 1790
- April 11: President Johnson signs the Civil Rights Act, 1964
- April 12: National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day
- April 13: 3rd President Thomas Jefferson born, 1743
- April 14:Webster’s Dictionary Published, 1828
- April 14: Titanic Struck an iceberg shortly before midnight on April 14. It sank at 2:20 AM on April 15.
- April 15: Income Tax Day
- April 15: Artist/Inventor Leonardo Da Vinci born, 1452 – Montessori-Inspired Art Appreciation and Art Appreciation and Creation for Kids
- April 16: Aviator Wilbur Wright Born, 1867
- April 18: Paul Revere’s Famous Ride, 1775
- April 18: Great San Francisco Earthquake, 1906.
- April 18: Pet Owner’s Day
- April 19: Humorous Day
- April 19: Revolutionary War began, 1775
- April 20: Scientists Marie & Pierre Curie isolate radium, 1902
- April 22: Earth Day, Established 1970- Free 3-Part Recycle Cards, Montessori-Inspired Earth Day Activities, Montessori-Inspired Activities for Earth Day Every Day, Montessori-Inspired Earth Day Activities (2012), and Montessori-Inspired Lorax Activities
- April 22: National Jelly Bean Day
- April 23: Home Run Day (Hank Aaron hits his first home run, 1954)
- April 23: William Shakespeare Born, 1564
- April 25: Hubble Telescope launched, 1990
- April 25: World Penguin Day – Montessori-Inspired Arctic and Antarctic Unit.
- April 26: Hug a Friend Day
- April 26: National Pretzel Day
- April 26: Seismologist Charles Richter born, 1900
- April 27: Tell a Story Day
- April 28: 5th President James Monroe Born, 1758
- April 29: International Dance Day
- April 30: National Honesty Day
- April 30: Anniversary Louisiana Purchase completed, 1803
I’ll add to this post as I publish new posts that fit in with April-themed observances.
Are you planning to use any themed activities in April?
If this is your first time visiting Living Montessori Now, welcome! If you haven’t already, please join us on our Living Montessori Now Facebook page where you’ll find a Free Printable of the Day and lots of inspiration and ideas for parenting and teaching!
Linked to Tuesday Tots, Tactile Tuesday, The Mommy Club Resources and Solutions at Milk and Cuddles and Crystal & Co., Hearts for Home Blog Hop, The Weekly Kid’s Co-op, Learn & Link, Living Life Intentionally Linky Party, Preschool Corner, Sharing Saturday, Saturday Show & Tell, Share It Saturday, Show-and-Share Saturday, The Sunday Showcase, Link & Learn, and Afterschool Express.