Are you looking for a versatile theme for spring? A lamb theme can be used for concepts from “Mary Had a Little Lamb” to “In like a lion, out like a lamb” to farm animals to the Good Shepherd. Today, I’m sharing links to free printables for a variety of lamb themes along with with hands-on activity ideas for /l/ as in lamb, “Mary Had a Little Lamb,” and March’s “In like a lion, out like a lamb.” I’m also sharing our latest subscriber freebie and a special instant download from The Montessori Company!
The links are for free lamb printables for preschoolers through 1st graders (although many of the lamb printables focus more on preschoolers). To keep my list manageable, I don’t share coloring pages unless a page has a specific educational purpose related to lambs.
At PreK + K Sharing, I tell how I used the printables to prepare Montessori-inspired lamb activities. I also have links to other posts with additional ideas and presentations.
Free Printables Used in the Pictured Lamb Activities for Preschoolers-First Graders
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links (at no cost to you).
Shelves with Lamb-Themed Activities
My shelves with lamb-themed activities include a free hand-painted printable sheep culture card designed by The Montessori Company. You’ll also find Montessori-inspired lamb numbers and letters (part of my subscriber freebie pack, so just sign up for my email to get the link and password … or check the bottom of your latest newsletter if you’re already a subscriber)
The books on my shelves include Mary Had a Little Lamb with illustrations by Tomie dePaola (see information below), Seasons on the Farm (another book from when my children were little), and Animals Born Alive and Well (another good book from my children’s childhood). Note: It now has a different illustration on the cover.
You could mix your lamb-themed activities among your shelves according to curriculum area. Or you could have a special lamb area something like the one pictured. This has a mixture of skill levels. If you’re a homeschooler, just choose the activities that work for your child’s interests and ability levels. If you don’t have room for all the activities you’d like to do, just rotate them.
Sheep Culture Card
I was happy to receive a lovely hand-painted sheep culture card from The Montessori Company. You can use it on your shelves to introduce a sheep or lamb theme. I’m hosting the free printable as an instant download at Living Montessori Now. You can always access the free sheep culture card here.
The description says: “Sheep graze the grasslands and generate natural wool. A young sheep is called a lamb.”
This classic Mary Had a Little Lamb with illustrations by Tomie dePaola was a well-loved book from when my now-adult children were little. I’ve always enjoyed books illustrated by Tomie dePaola. Fortunately, many of his books are still in print. Unfortunately, Mary Had a Little Lamb illustrated by Tomie dePaola is out of print, although there are many fun book versions of Mary Had a Little Lamb that are still available.
Mary Had a Little Lamb Puzzle
Free Printable: Mary Had a Little Lamb Puzzle from Mary Had a Little Lamb Pack (Tot Pack) from 3 Dinosaurs
For this activity, I simply used a Montessori Services basket and the puzzle pieces. For a younger child, you could copy the page twice and have one copy (not cut apart) on the tray to help the child assemble the puzzle.
Handbells with Note Cards and “Mary Had a Little Lamb” Sheet Music
Free Printable: Mary Had a Little Lamb Piano or Boomwhacker by Susan Hong Studio at Teachers Pay Teachers (Note: I printed this at 50% to have plenty of room on the tray.)
Free Printable: Colored Music Note Cards from Imagine Our Life
Letter L Object Basket
Free Printable: Lamb Numbers (part of my subscriber freebie pack, so just sign up for my email to get the link and password … or check the bottom of your latest newsletter if you’re already a subscriber)
Free Printables: Lamb Letters for Letter L Object Basket and Writing Tray (part of my subscriber freebie pack, so just sign up for my email to get the link and password … or check the bottom of your latest newsletter if you’re already a subscriber)
Some of the objects are ones I had at home (such as Safari Ltd. TOOB objects and a miniature lamb from a Nativity set), although many are from Montessori Services (they have individual phonetic objects or a whole set available).
Lion and Lamb Squeeze Number Game
Free Printable: Lion & Lamb Squeeze Number Game by Over the MoonBow at Teachers Pay Teachers
This activity was super-easy to prepare. I used a multicraft tray and the pieces from the printable. You’ll find directions for playing the game in the printable. You can have your number line from 1-10, 1-20, or 1-30. Mine is folded so you can’t see the entire number line in the photo, but it’s for 1-20.
Free Printable: March I Have Who Has Sight Word Game by Jill Gillen at Teachers Pay Teachers
For this activity, I used a basket I had and the printable.
Free Lamb Printables for Preschoolers-First Graders
Montessori-Inspired Lamb Pack for DIY Cards and Counters, Number or Letter Matching, Number or Letter Basket, Number or Letter Salt/Sand Writing Tray, Letter Tracing, and DIY Movable Alphabet (subscriber freebie, so just sign up for my email to get the link and password – or check your inbox if you’re already a subscriber)
- Mary Had a Little Lamb printables from Mama’s Learning Corner
- Mary Had a Little Lamb printables from PreKinders
- Mary Had a Little Lamb Easy Piano Music from Let’s Play Music
- Mary Had a Little Lamb Sheet Music from Making Learning Fun
- Mary Had a Little Lamb Melodies Move Up and Down from Music Lessons for the Young Child
- Easter Bunny and Lamb Banner from Ella Claire
- Lamb Craft with Bible Verse for Toddlers from A Virtuous Woman
- Lamb Puppet Craft from Bible Kids Fun Zone
- Passover Lamb and Food from Bible Kids Fun Zone
- Lenten Marshmallow Lamb Countdown Calendar from Wee Little Miracles
- The Good Shepherd Lesson for Children from Danielle’s Place
- Heart Lamb Paper Plate Craft from DLTK’s Crafts for Kids
- Counting Sheep Number Matching from ABCs to ACTs
- Sheep and Lamb Printables from Activity Village
- Lamb Printables from Making Learning Fun
- Baabsie Spring Puppet Printable from Small for Big
- Spring Themed Bookmarks (including In Like a Lion Out Like a Lamb)
- Lamb Printables from Teachers Pay Teachers
- Lamb Printables from Teachers Notebook (the word search can’t be saved, so just search for lamb and free when you’re there)
More Farm Animal Activities
- Free Farm Printables and Montessori-Inspired Activities Using Farm Replicas and Printables
- Montessori Grammar Farm
- Montessori-Inspired Corn Unit
- Montessori-Inspired Farm Unit
- Safari Ltd. Farm TOOBS and Keys
- 40+ Farm Sensory Tubs
- Inexpensive, Simple-to-Prepare Montessori Grammar Farm
- Montessori-Inspired Farm Animal Matching/Vocabulary for Babies and Toddlers
- Farm, Zoo, & Ocean Animal Sensory Bottles for Babies and Toddlers
- Story Stones – Farm Animal Families Treasure Basket
- Farm Unit Study Pinterest Board
Please join me at PreK + K Sharing for ideas on how to use the free printables to create Montessori-inspired lamb activities: Montessori-Inspired Lamb Activities Using Free Printables.
If this is your first time visiting Living Montessori Now, welcome! If you haven’t already, please join us on our Living Montessori Now Facebook page where you’ll find a Free Printable of the Day and lots of inspiration and ideas for parenting and teaching! And please follow me on Pinterest (lots of Montessori-, holiday-, and theme-related boards), Twitter (blog posts by me and others along with the Parent/Teacher Daily and other interesting information), and Google+ (post updates). You can find me on bloglovin’, Instagram, and YouTube now, too. And don’t forget one of the best ways to follow me by signing up for my weekly newsletter in the right sidebar. You’ll get two awesome freebies in the process and a password each month for exclusive subscriber freebies!