I love teaching art appreciation, and I have some new art appreciation products for you today! They’re forest art appreciation packs: forest animal art appreciation sorting and handwriting and winter forest art appreciation matching and concentration.
Disclosure: This post contains some affiliate links (at no cost to you).
Montessori-Inspired Printables at Living Montessori Now
My daughter, Chrissy (a former Montessori child), and I have partnered to bring you a series of Montessori-inspired printables. The printables are typically themed and use a number of Montessori principles (although you don’t need to be a Montessori teacher or homeschooler to use them):
- They use isolation of quality.
- They use photographs or realistic images to emphasize reality.
- They typically use traditional Montessori colors such as red for consonants and blue for vowels.
- They emphasize lowercase letters, which are what we introduce letter sounds with in Montessori education. (Children tend to pick up the uppercase letters without being introduced if they’re introduced to the lowercase letter sounds.)
- They often feature themed printable versions of Montessori materials.
Forest Animal Art Appreciation Sorting and Handwriting Pack in Print or Cursive
These printable packs focus on forest animals, handwriting, and art appreciation for ages 3-6! Each pack has 10 forest animals with animal photo headers and word strips for tracing and/or word writing. The cursive tracing and word-writing strips can be used for early elementary as well. There are also 20 forest animal art appreciation prints for preschoolers to sort according to animal. There’s also an optional blank handwriting page and an optional blank matching page if you wish to add another forest animal.
Forest Animal Art Appreciation Sorting and Handwriting Pack in Print
Here are my 3½- and 3¾-year-old grandkids, Caleb and Sophia, working with the forest animal sorting in print. (It’s the same in the cursive pack except for being cursive, of course.)
View this post on Instagram
These are the (optional) Safari Ltd. animals we used: owl from Exotic Birds TOOB, pileated woodpecker from the Backyard Birds TOOB, and fox, wolf, deer, moose, bear, and rabbit (not actually a hare but close enough for our purposes) from the Nature TOOB. Unfortunately, the Nature TOOB isn’t available right now, although many of the animals are available in other TOOBs, such as some of them in the North American Wildlife TOOB. There isn’t a wild boar or squirrel in any of the Safari Ltd. TOOBs right now, so we just used the other 8 animals. Those cards fit perfectly on our rugs anyway.
Forest Animal Art Appreciation Sorting and Handwriting Pack in Cursive
Forest Animal Art Appreciation Sorting and Handwriting Pack
Directions for Using the Handwriting Pages
For preschoolers who aren’t ready for tracing or to use the pre-printed strips for sorting, you can just print out each page and cut out the top strip of each page.
For children who are ready for tracing, there’s a dotted version for each of the ten animals. Children who are ready to write the words on their own can use the third strip of each page.
You can use the first page as the cover of a booklet or as a header for the entire work.
There’s a blank handwriting page and art appreciation page if you’d like to add another forest animal.
Sorting Directions for Ages 3-6
Preschoolers typically love using animal figures, such as Safari Ltd. TOOB figures. You can add the related animal figures to your sorting work if you wish. It isn’t necessary but adds interest.
You can start with as few as three animals or use up to all ten forest animals.
Use either the headers with solid fonts or headers your child created through tracing or writing the words.
Have the child place the two related artwork prints below the strip with the photo and name of the forest animal.
Winter Forest Art Appreciation Matching and Concentration Pack in Print or Cursive
Focus on art appreciation for preschool through early elementary with winter forest art appreciation matching and concentration. Each pack has 20 matching artworks in print that can be used for matching for preschoolers and concentration games for multiple ages and levels. An optional blank page is included if you want to add another set of matching cards.
Winter Forest Art Appreciation Matching and Concentration Pack in Print
Winter Forest Art Appreciation Matching and Concentration Pack in Cursive
Directions for Winter Forest Art Appreciation
Matching Directions for Ages 3-6:
- For young preschoolers, you can start with as few as 3-6 pairs. Lay out the images with yellow dots first and then find the matching cards with green dots.
Concentration Game Directions for Multiple Ages:
- For young preschoolers, start with as few as 3 pairs. Mix up all the cards and lay them out face down in any order in rows. The child turns over two cards at a time to find their matches, trying to remember where each matching card is.
- For older children, use as many pairs as your children can handle. There are 20 pairs in the pack, so you can use all 20 pairs at once if you wish. Mix the cards and lay them out face down in any order in rows. Concentration can be played by one child, played cooperatively by more than one child, or played competitively. For competitive play, each player takes a turn by turning two cards over. If the cards match, the player picks up the cards and keeps them. If they don’t match, the player turns the cards back over. If the player gets a match, the player can go again until he or she doesn’t get a match. The game is over when all the cards have been matched and picked up. The winner is the player with the most matches at the end.
Use the optional page with blank cards if you want to print out and add a specific artwork that isn’t included.
More Art Appreciation in The Living Montessori Now Shop
The Living Montessori Now Shop
We have some wonderful products for you in our Living Montessori Now shop! Be sure to check them out while you’re there. The prices are very reasonable, and you’ll find lots of help for Montessori at home or in the classroom.
Free Printables at Living Montessori Now
See my Free Montessori Printables category for free Montessori-inspired instant downloads.
Don’t miss our subscriber freebies (see list of available subscriber packs)! You’ll get a monthly freebie with link and password if you subscribe to the Living Montessori Now weekly newsletter!
You’ll also find more free printables through my free printables page.
Learn more about my eBook Montessori at Home or School: How to. Teach Grace and Courtesy!
If this is your first time visiting Living Montessori Now, welcome! If you haven’t already, please join us on our Living Montessori Now Facebook page where you’ll find a Free Printable of the Day and lots of inspiration and ideas for parenting and teaching! And please follow me on Pinterest (lots of Montessori-, holiday-, and theme-related boards), Instagram, and YouTube. You can find me on bloglovin’ and Twitter, too.
And don’t forget one of the best ways to follow me by signing up for my weekly newsletter. You’ll receive some awesome freebies in the process!