Learning to recognize and write his or her own name is a real milestone for a preschooler. It takes many steps and much practice to achieve. Of course, many of the activities in Montessori education prepare the child’s hand indirectly for writing. That makes it much easier to focus on the actual name tracing and writing.
I’m excited to tell you about our revised and expanded printable pack … a spring-themed, editable name and word tracing pack. The spring images and personalized names add interest to the task of name recognition and writing. And the editable part of the pack can be used in print or cursive for any words, numbers, or other languages, too!
Disclosure: This post contains some affiliate links (at no cost to you).
Update: March 31, 2021: Don’t buy this printable if you’re planning to buy the Spring Mega Bundle! It’s included! The Spring-Themed, Editable Name and Word Tracing Pack was originally published 3 years ago, but it’s been expanded to be over double in size. And you’ll find directions for making the editable pages in a variety of fonts and/or languages!
The Spring Mega Bundle is live from March 31-April 6, 2021! The Spring Mega Bundle is one of my very favorites. We didn’t just throw a few printables together. We carefully selected to work with creators of quality educational printables, many of whom you most probably already follow and love.
On top of that, the organizers also created super neat sorting sheets that list all the printables by recommended age and subjects covered and these come free of charge! This is such an incredible bonus and will save you so much time (and sanity) when trying to find the printables that would be suitable for your children.
There are over 2,000 pages of beautiful educational printable in this incredible MEGA Bundle (many of which are brand new)!
And as always the price is amazing! With this bundle you are saving 95%!
Just check out all the amazing digital printables you will receive for only $25! (The actual value of the bundle is $550.)
LIST OF MATERIALS IN THE BUNDLE (A-Z ORDER)
The materials marked with 🌟 are brand new.
A Childhood Set Apart
- Alphabet Review Notebook in Print and Cursive (ages: 3 – 6, subject: language)
- The Giant Turnip Story Bundle 🌟 (ages: 3 – 9, subject: art, botany, language, math)
Crafts Fun and Learning
- Spring Learning Pack (ages: 3 – 8, subjects: language, practical life, math)
- Spring Learning Pack Bundle Pre and KinderPack (ages: 2 – 5, subjects: language)
- My First Spring Flashcards Set (ages: 2 – 5, subjects: language)
- Butterfly Life Cycle Set (ages: 3 – 9, subjects: science – botany)
Design Studio Teti
- 25 Spring Activities 🌟(ages: 3 – 6, subjects: language, math, motor skills, sensorial)
Hudson Academy of Curiosity
- Spring CVC Phonics Game 🌟 (ages: 3 – 8, subjects: language)
- Minibeast A-Z Playdough Mats 🌟(ages: 3 – 8, subjects: language)
- Minibeast Learning Pack 🌟(ages: 3 – 8, subjects: language, science – botany)
Jo Jo Ebi
- Spring Festivals Around the World 🌟(ages: 3 – 9, subjects: geography, language)
Little Folk Learning
- Nature Play Based Learning Collection🌟 (ages: 3 – 6, subjects: language, math)
- Nature Alphabet Flashcards and Mini Poster🌟(ages: 3 – 6, subjects: language)
- Farm Activity Book 🌟(ages: 3 – 6, subjects: language, math, motor skills)
Little Hands Learn
- Environmental Stewardship TODDLER Bundle (ages: 1 – 3, subjects: art, language, motor skills, practical life, sensorial, zoology)
Little Spark Company
- Birds, Blooms & Butterflies Preschool Math Bundle🌟(ages: 3 – 6, subject: math)
Living Montessori Now
- Spring-Themed, Editable Name and Word Tracing Pack (ages: 3 – 6, subject: language)
Mama’s Happy Hive
- Watercolor ABC POSTERS (Cursive)🌟(ages: 3 – 6, subject: language)
- Daffodil Activity Bundle (ages: 3 – 6, subject: botany)
- Felt Chicken Life-Cycle🌟(ages: 3 – 6, subject: zoology)
Matty and Millie
- Easter Busy Book🌟(ages: 3 – 5, subject: language,math, motor skills, practical life, sensorial)
- Farm Animals Busy Book(ages: 3 – 5, subject: art, language, math, motor skills)
Modern Classical Homeschool
- 50 state butterfly pack🌟(ages: 3 – 9, subject: language, zoology)
- Countries of the World: Adjectival Matching🌟(ages: 6 – 9, subject: geography, language)
- Montessori Farm Printable Pack (ages: 2 – 6, subject: art, language, math, sensorial, science)
- Montessori Farm Expansion Pack (ages: 6 – 9, subject: language, math, motor, sensorial, science)
Montessori Inspired Co
- Frogs Activity Pack (Explore frogs from around the world)🌟(ages: 3 – 6, subject: zoology)
- Produce & Pests in the Garden🌟(ages: 3 – 6, subject: botany)
- Types of Bridges Photo Sorting Cards🌟(ages: 3 – 7, subject: geography, language)
- Nature Themed Golden Bead Cards🌟(ages: 5 – 7, subject: math)
- Compost Life Cycle Activities🌟(ages: 5 – 7, subject: botany)
Montessori Tube Academy
- Membership (MTA Inclusive Club) Montessori Weekly lesson plans and resources (ages: 3 – 9, all subjects)
- Water Cycle Activities🌟(ages: 3 – 9, subject: botany)
- Titanic(ages: 3 – 9, subject: history)
Natural Beach Living
- Weather Activities for Preschool and Kindergarten 🌟(ages: 3 – 8, subject: language, math, science)
- My Nature Walk Journal 🌟(ages: 3 – 12, subject: art, botany, language, practical life, sensorial, science )
Our Life in the Shire
- Spring Nature Poems(ages: 3 – 9, subject: language)
Purple Nest Kid Creations
- Letters and Sounds Matching Activity 🌟(ages: 2 – 5, subject: language)
- United States of America Geography Bundle(ages: 3 – 9, subject: geography)
- Dinosaurs Activity Bundle(ages: 2 – 4, subject: zoology)
Smart Ways to Play
- Endangered Animals Memory Game 🌟(ages: 1.5 – 9, subject: zoology)
- Spring Flowers Tracing and Cutting Strips 🌟(ages: 1.5 – 6, subject: motor skills, practical life)
- Spring Counting Cards 🌟(ages: 1.5 – 4, subject: math)
- Backyard Birds TOOBS/Three Part Cards 🌟(ages: 1.5 – 9, subject: zoology)
- Flowers TOOB/Three Part Cards 🌟(ages: 1 – 9, subject: botany)
So Simple a Beginning
- Colors of the Rainbow Activity Pack(ages: 3 – 6, subject: science)
- Rainbow Counting Cards(ages: 3 – 6, subject: math)
- Spring Count and Clip Cards(ages: 3 – 6, subject: math)
- Spring Letter Tracing Cards(ages: 3 – 6, subject: language)
- Spring Mini Poster and Cards(ages: 3 – 6, subject: language)
- Montessori Music Activities Bundle (ages: 3 – 6, subjects: music)
The Art Kit
- Spring Learning Bundle 🌟(ages: 3 – 6, subject: language, math, practical life)
The Brilliant Bungalow
- Water Unit Study(ages: 4 – 8, subject: science)
- Weather Unit Study(ages: 4 – 8, subject: science)
- Service Brings Joy Printable(ages: 4 – 8, subject: science)
The Everyday Planner
- Chicken Coop Activity Bundle(ages: 2 – 8, subject: math)
- Farm Colors and Numbers(ages: 2 – 5, subject: language, math)
- Sensory Seek & Find Activity Bundle(ages: 2 – 8, subject: science, sensorial)
- Nature Scavenger Hunt(ages: 2 – 12, subject: science)
The Masterpiece Studio
- Adventures in Florence – 3 week study 🌟(ages: 3 – 10, subject: art history, geography, practical life)
The Prepared Environment
- Butterfly Art Bundle 🌟(ages: 3 – 6, subject: art)
The Willow and Owl
- Vegetable Fact Cards and Anatomy Pack(ages: 6 – 12, subject: botany)
- Spring Time Collection Bundle 🌟 (ages: 6 – 15, subject: zoology)
This Growing Life
- Spring Flash Cards and 3 Part Cards 🌟 (ages: 3 – 6, subject: language)
- Spring Word Tracing Strips 🌟
Well and Willow
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle Learning Pack (ages: 5 – 9, subject: ecology)
- Waste Sorting (ages: 4 – 9, subject: ecology)
- Farm Products from Animals (ages: 3 – 7, subject: practical life)
- Farm Products from Plants (ages: 3 – 7, subject: practical life)
Montessori-Inspired Printables at Living Montessori Now
My daughter, Chrissy (a former Montessori child), and I have partnered to bring you a series of Montessori-inspired printables. The printables are typically themed and use a number of Montessori principles (although you don’t need to be a Montessori teacher or homeschooler to use them):
- They use isolation of quality.
- They use photographs or realistic images to emphasize reality.
- They typically use traditional Montessori colors such as red for consonants and blue for vowels.
- They emphasize lowercase letters, which are what we introduce letter sounds with in Montessori education. (Children tend to pick up the uppercase letters without being introduced if they’re introduced to the lowercase letter sounds.)
- They often feature themed printable versions of Montessori materials.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links (at no cost to you).
Spring-Themed, Editable Name and Word Tracing Pack
The spring-themed, editable name and word tracing pack is a product in our Living Montessori Now shop! It was originally published in January 2018 and revised and more than doubled in size in March 2021. This spring-themed printable tracing pack can be customized for names, words, or numbers in any language … a low-prep activity that’s perfect for classroom or home! There are 84 printable pages and 62 different realistic images. The editable pages (pages 26-88) are compatible with manuscript, cursive, or other fonts.
This is a Montessori-inspired pack designed to help with name recognition and writing, sight word reading and spelling, and identifying cultural spring symbols. The 88-page pack is $10.95.
Some Ways to Use the Name and Word Tracing Printables
There are so many different ways you can use this printable. Here are just a few ways:
Making Name Signs (Activity from 2021)
This activity is easily adaptable for a variety of ages. Even children who don’t need to work on their names can enjoy an art project of decorating their name for their room. In a room with other children, a name sign can be used to mark a child’s work that shouldn’t be disturbed. The finished name signs can also be used for hooks, cubbies, or any place you’d like a name or word label.
Each of my grandkids chose one of the images from the newly revised and expanded pack. Caleb (3) chose a goat kid. Caleb isn’t 3½ yet, so I just gave him a sheet of miniature rhinestone stickers to decorate his name sign. He was very careful to put stickers exactly on the dots and was excited to take his sign home.
Zoey (now 7) chose a lynx kitten, and Sophia (3) chose a rabbit kitten. I made both Caleb’s and Sophia’s signs in print and Zoey’s in cursive. I typically teach print first and then cursive, but many choose to teach cursive first. There are benefits to either way, so I think you should just choose for your unique situation.
Zoey wanted to make a decorative name sign. She chose to trace her name with a permanent marker for her sign. Then she decorated the cursive letters carefully with the miniature rhinestone stickers before adding other gems and written designs. Sophia made artistic designs with the miniature rhinestone stickers on hers. Zoey and Sophia also wanted to take their signs home for their room.
Name Tracing (Activity from 2018)
Children can trace either their first name or first and last name. When the spring pack was first published in 2018, Zoey was 4 years old and already knew how to spell her first name. So she worked on her first and last name.
In early tracing work, I like to show where to start each letter when tracing the name with a marker, pencil, or crayon. It takes a lot of practice for young children to become comfortable with both forming the letters and starting the letters in the correct place each time.
Rainbow writing is a fun way to practice name tracing, word tracing, or number tracing. Typically, the colors of the rainbow are used. For example, the child will trace over his or her name in red, then orange, then yellow, then green, etc., to create a rainbow of colors. It adds interest to writing.
Word Tracing (Activity from 2018)
If you’re working on word writing and would like help with introducing phonetic sounds, introducing object with sounds, or beginning phonics in general, check out my DIY Beginning Montessori Phonics with Preschoolers.
The day after Zoey worked on her last name in 2018, I decided to help her analyze her name using the Montessori movable alphabet. We focused on the “ch” phonogram in “chick.” In addition to using the chick label from the pack, we used a chenille chick and our small wooden movable alphabet.
Zoey enjoyed the work and liked learning more about the “ch” sound.
If you’re wondering how to introduce phonograms, you’ll find ideas in this post: Phonics: How to Introduce Words Starting with Phonograms.
More Ideas from Personalized Holiday Name Tracing for Preschoolers – YouTube Video
This short video of then-4-year-old Zoey shows a few more ways the name-tracing part of the printables can be used. It’s just for a different time of year!
The Living Montessori Now Shop
We have some wonderful products for you in our Living Montessori Now shop! Be sure to check them out while you’re there. The prices are very reasonable, and you’ll find lots of help for Montessori at home or in the classroom.
Free Printables at Living Montessori Now
See my Free Montessori Printables category for free Montessori-inspired instant downloads.
Don’t miss our subscriber freebies (see list of available subscriber packs)! You’ll get a monthly freebie with link and password if you subscribe to the Living Montessori Now weekly newsletter!
You’ll also find more free printables through my free printables page.
Learn more about my eBook Montessori at Home or School: How to. Teach Grace and Courtesy!
If this is your first time visiting Living Montessori Now, welcome! If you haven’t already, please join us on our Living Montessori Now Facebook page where you’ll find a Free Printable of the Day and lots of inspiration and ideas for parenting and teaching! And please follow me on Pinterest (lots of Montessori-, holiday-, and theme-related boards), and Twitter (blog posts by me and others along with the Parent/Teacher Daily and other interesting information). You can find me on bloglovin’, Instagram, and YouTube, too.
And don’t forget one of the best ways to follow me by signing up for my weekly newsletter. You’ll receive some awesome freebies in the process!