I was lucky to have the opportunity to review the teaching manuals created by Jennifer at Montessori Print Shop.
Review of Montessori Print Shop Primary Teaching Manuals Bundle
The Primary Teaching Manuals Bundle includes 4 Montessori Teaching Manuals – Practical Life, Sensorial, Language, and Math. The manuals are based on AMI principles from Jennifer’s AMI training through the Foundation of Montessori Education (Toronto, ON). The courses were taught and guided by Renilde Montessori in 1993/94.
The presentations and lessons included are for children who are approximately 2½ to 6 years of age. This, of course, depends on the individual child, and many activities also work well for 7- and 8 year olds. (Note: In Montessori education, primary is generally ages 2½-6 or 3-6 with elementary at ages 6-12.)
Each lesson includes:
- materials list
- material photo(s)
- detailed step-by-step instructions
- notes to the teacher
- purpose of activity
- points of interest
- control of error
- suggested age for presentation
Over the years, I’ve accumulated a number of Montessori teaching albums from my training course as well as from other training programs. My first experience in Montessori was through an AMI-trained teacher who let me photocopy her albums and gave me guidance in creating a Montessori environment and activities for a day care center. Later on, I completed Montessori training and worked with Montessori teachers from different types of Montessori training programs. Here are my thoughts on the Montessori Print Shop AMI-based albums:
- AMI albums always feel like I’m coming home. There’s so much available online, which I thoroughly appreciate. Yet it can be very overwhelming, especially for parents or teachers who haven’t had the opportunity to take a Montessori training course. The Montessori Print Shop albums are wonderful for both parents and teachers new to Montessori and for parents and teachers wanting to keep a firm foundation in Montessori principles and techniques.
- I love the clarity and simplicity of the Montessori Print Shop albums. AMI training courses stay the truest to Maria Montessori’s original ideas. You’ll find photos of the traditional Montessori materials in each of the manuals except the practical life manual, where they aren’t essential. There are a number of hand-drawn illustrations for the practical life activities that need illustrations.
- I love that the presentations follow the original Montessori guidelines. Montessori presentations are not all the same. It’s surprising how many presentations there can be for one activity when you look at different Montessori manuals. In general, I like to stay with an AMI presentation when there’s more than one way to present an activity. It’s well-thought-out and focuses on the essentials. When I created DIY Montessori materials in the past, I preferred to use traditional Montessori colors and designs whenever possible. There can be variations. You can count on AMI information if you’d like to stay with the original Montessori colors, designs, and presentations.
- I also love that you’ll find links to Montessori Print Shop materials within the lessons. Montessori Print Shop has so many wonderful free and inexpensive extensions for Montessori lessons as well as printables that are essential parts of many lessons. Having the links within the teaching manuals simplifies the preparation process.
If you go to each teaching manual page at Montessori Print Shop, click on the photos at the bottom of the page for a detailed Table of Contents and sample lesson.Practical Life Teaching Manual Sensorial Teaching Manual Language Teaching Manual Math Teaching Manual
Unless you’re already an AMI-trained teacher and have your own AMI-based albums, I think these are the ideal teaching manuals to have along with any other Montessori materials you already own. It’s easiest to add ideas and personalize your own unique way of teaching Montessori when you have a solid foundation to return to whenever needed.
Disclosure: I received a Montessori Print Shop Primary Teaching Manuals Bundle in order to provide an honest review. I was not required to write a positive review, and any opinions expressed are my own.
Giveaway: What You Will Win: (The giveaway is now closed.)
2 very lucky winners will receive full sets of Montessori Print Shop teaching manuals available by download! Here’s what each Montessori Print Shop Primary Teaching Manuals Bundle is valued at:
|Practical Life Teaching Manual (Theory + 75 lessons)||15.99|
|Sensorial Teaching Manual (Theory + 45 lessons)||17.99|
|Language Teaching Manual (Theory + 30 lessons)||21.99|
|Math Teaching Manual (Theory + 52 lessons)||21.99|
|Total if purchased individually||$77.96|
|Save 15% on the Bundle||11.69|
|Price for the Primary Teaching Manuals Bundle||$66.27|
If you don’t win, this is still an amazing deal and well worth it!
Who is Eligible:
This giveaway is open to anyone 18 and older worldwide. The first entry is mandatory. You must leave a blog post comment telling why you want to win (and be sure to say you did that on the Rafflecopter form)! After you’ve completed your mandatory entry, there are lots of optional entries. You have many chances to win! (Note: For the extra entries, you may count ways of following that you already do. For example, if you previously “liked” Living Montessori Now on Facebook, you may still count that for your “like” Living Montessori Now on Facebook entry!)
It’s easy to enter giveaways with Rafflecopter! Just follow the directions to enter.If you still have questions about the Rafflecopter form, here’s a 52-second video with quick directions for entering through Rafflecopter.
You must complete the Mandatory Entry to qualify for any additional entries. The giveaway closes 10:01pm MST on Thursday, June 28. Best of luck! 🙂
It’s Friday morning, June 29. I enjoyed reading all your blog comments, and I really appreciated the 1,605 entries!
TWO VERY LUCKY winners have been selected using Random.org through Rafflecopter!
The winners of full sets of Montessori Print Shop Primary Teaching Manuals are Jennifer Kochert and Sofia Alves! (Note: Jennifer and Sofia, you each have 48 hours to respond to my email, or a new winner will be chosen.)
I’m so happy for Jennifer and Sofia, who both had multiple entries!
The comment for Jennifer’s mandatory entry (why she wanted to win) said:
“I am just starting to incorporate Montessori into our preschool days. This would give me a great start with Montessori. Thank You for hosting this giveaway.”
Submitted on 2012/06/25 at 10:05 am
The comment for Sofia’s mandatory entry (why she wanted to win) said:
“I would love to win these albums. Would make a great addition to my classroom!”
Submitted on 2012/06/21 at 9:34 pm
CONGRATULATIONS, Jennifer and Sofia!!! I can’t thank Montessori Print Shop enough for sponsoring this wonderful giveaway – and thank you to everyone who entered! If you didn’t win, the Montessori Print Shop Primary Teaching Manuals Bundle is a steal at $66.27! 🙂
As always, thanks so much to all my blog sponsors!