Compass activities are perfect for summer (or whenever you have good weather for outdoor walks where you live). And compass walks are great outdoor learning experiences, ones that can be fun for the whole family.
For today’s post, I enjoyed searching for free Montessori-inspired compass rose printables and activities along with ideas for outdoor compass walks. The compass rose printables can encourage some meaningful learning activities before a compass walk.
Free Montessori-Inspired Compass Rose Printables
Free Compass Rose – Printable Montessori Geography Materials from Montessori Print Shop
Free Compass Nomenclature Cards from Montessori Mom
Free Compass Rose Coloring Page from Don’t Eat the Paste
Free Compass Rose Materials from The Learning Ark
Montessori-Inspired Compass Activities
Free Montessori Geography Album (Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a free KHT Montessori geography album, which includes a number of Montessori compass activities)
Compass Rose from To the Lesson!
Making a Compass Rose from What DID We Do All Day?
Outdoor Compass Walks and Variations
These aren’t specifically Montessori activities, but they fit perfectly with the Montessori emphasis on outdoor learning and spending time in nature.
Using a Compass – The Basics from Brian’s Backpacking Blog
Compass Games from Becky’s Guiding Resource Centre
How to Use a Compass from Dupree Nature Preserve
Compass Points Game from Montessori Mom
How to Teach the Compass Rose – Get Out and Run! (not a compass walk but a compass run!) from Home Grown Families
The Art of Teaching Map and Compass: Instructional Techniques, Curricular Formats and Practical Field Exercises from Outdoor Education Papers
Pairs Compass Walk – Video
This post was written for inclusion in the monthly Carnival of Natural Parenting hosted by Hobo Mama and Code Name: Mama. This month our participants have talked about how to get out and enjoy the warmer season as a family.
Please take time to read the submissions by the other carnival participants:
- All my Summers — The Barefoot Mama reflects on summers past and talks about the changing dynamics of her family life.
- Wild summer days — Stoneageparent shares some of the many delights the summer offers to her already nature loving, outdoor family.
- How to Make a Messy Fun Car Emergency Kit (+ a Recipe for Homemade Disinfecting Wipes) — It can be a huge pain to clean up muddy, sandy kids before they climb in the car, but what would childhood be without the wonder of dirt and mud and nature?! Today Dionna at Code Name: Mama is sharing a few handy things to keep in the trunk of your car year-round so that you feel more comfortable with the mess.
- The Best Part of Summer — Rachael at The Variegated Life has a portable escape route that helps her enjoy all of summer.
- 8 Summer Picture Books for Toddlers & Preschoolers — Holly at Leaves of Lavender offers a list of eight picture books that celebrate the warmth of summer.
- How to help your kids run a marathon, mile by mile — Lauren at Hobo Mama shares how to make a family racing goal manageable even for movement-averse children with regular small-scale training and lots of motivation.
- Montessori-Inspired Compass Rose Activities and Outdoor Compass Walks — Deb Chitwood at Living Montessori Now shares links to free Montessori-inspired compass rose printables along with compass activities and outdoor compass walks … perfect for summer learning.
- Summer Takes — A quick look through pictures of what Life Breath Present and family have been up to so far this summer!
Montessori at Home or School: How to Teach Grace and Courtesy plus a new book I coauthored: Learn with Play – 150+ Activities for Year-round Fun & Learning!
If this is your first time visiting Living Montessori Now, welcome! If you haven’t already, please join us on our Living Montessori Now Facebook page where you’ll find a Free Printable of the Day and lots of inspiration and ideas for parenting and teaching! And please follow me on Pinterest (lots of Montessori-, holiday-, and theme-related boards),Twitter (blog posts by me and others along with the Parent/Teacher Daily and other interesting information), and Google+ (post updates and Montessori Community). You can find me on bloglovin’, Instagram, and YouTube now, too. And don’t forget one of the best ways to follow me by signing up for my weekly newsletter in the right sidebar. You’ll get two awesome freebies in the process!
May be linked to Afterschool Express, Thoughtful Spot, Hip Homeschool Hop, The Mommy Club Resources and Solutions, Mom’s Library, A Little Bird Told Me Linky Party, Learn and Play, Homeschool Link-up, TGIF Linky Party, Preschool Corner, Ultimate Homeschool Pinterest Party,Sharing Saturday, Share It Saturday, Tot School Gathering Place.