I’ve always loved studying about pioneers. I grew up 40 miles from DeSmet, South Dakota, of Little Town on the Prairie fame. Today, I want to share some ideas for Montessori-inspired pioneer activities that can be used in the classroom or at home. I have some Montessori-inspired pioneer activities using free pioneer printables … great for a summer (or anytime) unit study!
Disclosure: This post contains some affiliate links (at no cost to you).
Montessori-Inspired Pioneer Activities Using Free Printables
Free Printable: Covered Wagon Lacing from Wild West Mega Pack at 123 Homeschool 4 Me
The tray is a Multicraft tray. This activity just requires printing out, laminating, and cutting out the covered wagon; punching holes around the wagon; and using tape to create an end on the yarn for lacing. Older children could use yarn threaded through a needle.
Free Printable: Pioneer Counting and Skip Counting Puzzles from Pioneer Pack, Part 1 from 3 Dinosaurs
I printed out, laminated, and cut out the puzzle pieces. You can choose a pioneer puzzle with simple linear counting or with skip counting. For younger children, I would just use one puzzle per box. For older children, you could add all four puzzles to a box for extra difficulty. I used a Really Useful Pencil Box. You could also use a zippered pencil pouch to create an activity bag with the puzzles for traveling or waiting rooms.
Free Printable: Wagon Roll and Cover and Cabin Roll and Cover from Pioneer Pack, Part 4 from 3 Dinosaurs
I added two activities/papers to this tray for children at different levels. The covered wagon is a simple counting activity. The cabin in the page below it has an addition activity using two dice. I used clear glass gems as markers so children could see the numbers through the gems. I also used a sugar tong from Montessori Services to add an activity for fine-motor development.
Free Printable: Pioneer Town-Store Money Activity from Little House in the Big Woods and Pioneer Unit at Every Star Is Different
I really like this activity for giving a high-interest way to help children become comfortable dealing with coins. If you have a children’s cash register, that could be used to make the activity even more meaningful.
Younger children could match the coins to the card. I placed only the coins in the dish that are needed to complete the activity for a control of error. You could use 4, 8, or 12 cards. Older children could match the actual money amount to the coin cards.
Free Printable: Pioneer Beginning Sounds Clip Cards from Jump in to Summer Learning: Pioneers (Day 5, Kindergarten) at Royal Baloo
The basket is a Montessori Services basket. I used mini clothespins to add both difficulty and interest. I also added control dots to the back to identify the correct answer when the child turns the card over after clipping on the clothespin.
Free Printable: Pioneer Girl and Pioneer Boy Paper Doll Printables from Little House on the Prairie
This is an advanced cutting activity and fun craft that would be of interest to kindergarteners through elementary-level children. I used Fiskar kids’ scissors.
Free Pioneer Printables for Preschoolers-First Graders (some printables for up to grade 3)
- Little House in the Big Woods and Pioneer Unit from Every Star Is Different
- Pioneer Pack from 3 Dinosaurs
- Jump in to Summer Learning: Pioneer from 3 Dinosaurs
- Jump in to Summer Learning: Pioneer from Royal Baloo
- Wild West Mega Pack from 123 Homeschool 4 Me
- Pioneer School from Log Cabin Village
- Pioneer Dress Up Doll from Adventure in a Box
- Create Your Own Handcart from LDS
- Pioneer Handcart from Tinyton Village
- Covered Wagon Craft from Inkjet_Paper_Scissors
- Wagon Wheel Clip Art from Fab ‘n Free (can be used to measure the room)
- Templates for Assembling Your Own Pioneer Town from Herbert Hoover Presidential Library and Museum
- Little House Lapbooks from Homeschool Share
- Oregon Trail Lapbook from Lapbook Lessons
- Complete Little House on the Prairie Series Lapbook Set from Marine Corps Nomads
- The First Four Years Q & A from Wise Owl Factory
- Pioneer Printables from ABC Teach
- Pioneer Printables from DLTK
- Literature Postage Stamp Coloring Pages: Little House on the Prairie at Blue Bonkers
- Maple Syrup Lapbook from Homeschool Share
- Pioneer Printables from Teachers Pay Teachers
More of my Resources That Include Pioneer Activities
You’ll find more pioneer activities and ideas in these Living Montessori Now posts:
Learn more about my eBook Montessori at Home or School: How to. Teach Grace and Courtesy!
If this is your first time visiting Living Montessori Now, welcome! If you haven’t already, please join us on our Living Montessori Now Facebook page where you’ll find a Free Printable of the Day and lots of inspiration and ideas for parenting and teaching! And please follow me on Pinterest (lots of Montessori-, holiday-, and theme-related boards) and Twitter. You can find me on bloglovin’, Instagram, and YouTube, too.
And don’t forget one of the best ways to follow me by signing up for my weekly newsletter. You’ll get some awesome freebies in the process!