Ladybugs are simply fun … even for children who are typically afraid of bugs. Today, I’m sharing the links to free printables I’ve used to create Montessori-inspired ladybug activities for preschoolers through first graders.
Disclosure: This post contains some affiliate links (at no cost to you).
Montessori-Inspired Ladybug Activities Using Free Printables
Ladybug Lacing Activity
For the ladybug lacing, I printed, laminated, and cut out the Ladybug Lacing Card from Confessions of a Homeschooler. (Update: The ladybug lacing card is no longer free. It’s now part of a letter of the week set.)
I used a regular hole puncher to make the holes and one of my son’s old skating laces for the lace, although you could use any type of long lace or even yarn with the end sealed. For the tray, I used a large plastic tray from Montessori Services.
Life Cycle of a Ladybug Sensory Basket and Tray
The ladybug life-cycle activity uses a Ladybug Life Cycle Chart from Montessori Print Shop. The free printable also includes 3-part cards and more charts. (Update: The printable is no longer free. If you’re looking for free ladybug and other life cycle printables, check out The Pinay Homeschooler.) I made this ladybug life-cycle activity for young preschoolers, so I just printed out two copies of the colored chart and cut out the pictures from one of the charts to match with the pictures on the chart. For the tray, I just used an inexpensive wooden tray from a hobby store. (Update: Now I typically use one of my Multicraft trays for these types of activities.)
I have the Safari Ltd. Insects TOOB, which has a realistic ladybug figure. I used that to add interest, although just the pictures could be used for the matching activity. Insect Lore has life cycle of a ladybug figures that would be perfect.
If you have either an adult ladybug figure or the life-cycle ladybug figures, you could create a very simple sensory basket using Easter grass, shredded green paper, or fresh grass clippings if you have them. You just need to bury the ladybug or life-cycle ladybug figures in the grass. Your child or students could use a blindfold when searching for the ladybug or ladybug figures if you wish.
Ladybug Symmetry Activity
Printable: Ladybug Symmetry from Insects Printable Pack at Gift of Curiosity (Update: the Insects Printable Pack is no longer free. It’s available for purchase in the Gift of Curiosity shop.)
Five Little Ladybugs Activity
This activity tray uses two free printables: Ladybug Songs and Puppet Sticks (no longer available) from Preschool Printables and Five Little Ladybugs Song from 2Care2Teach4Kids. Update: I found these free printables from Teachers Pay Teachers that could work for the ladybug stick puppets. I used a large plastic tray from Montessori Services. This could be a fun activity used individually or as a small group activity.
Odd and Even Ladybug Math Activity
For this odd-and-even math work, I used three free printables: Ladybug Mat for Odd and Even from The Measured Mom, Ladybug Odd and Even Recording Sheet from Mathwire, and Number Cards from the Summer Pack or almost any of the packs from 3 Dinosaurs. Again, I used a large plastic tray along with a sugar tong from Montessori Services and black glass gems to work on practical life skills along with the math activity.
Ladybug Addition Activity
For the ladybug addition, I used Addition Cards for a Ladybug Theme from Making Learning Fun. I also printed out the Ladybug Addition Mat from The Measured Mom and then cut out the addition-equation strip. I reused the numbers from one of the 3 Dinosaurs packs for this activity, too. There are lots of different addition equations available at Making Learning Fun, so just choose the ones that are best for your child or students.
Word Family Activity for a Ladybug Theme
The ladybug word-family phonics activity uses the free printable Word Family Activity for a Ladybug Theme from Making Learning Fun. There are printables for a number of word families, although I just printed out the “at” and “an” word families. You can use whichever (and as many) word families as your child or students are ready for.
Free Ladybug Printables for Preschoolers-Grade 1 (updated 6/15/18)
- Life Cycle of a Ladybug (subscriber freebie) from Trillium Montessori
- Ladybug Life Cycle Packet from Preschool Powol Packets
- Ladybug Life Cycle (subscriber freebie) Printables from Natural Beach Living
- Ladybug Life Cycle Cards for Ladybug Life Cycle with Playdough from Fun Learning for Kids
- Ladybug Life Cycle Printables from Teaching Mama
- Ladybug Life Cycle Printables from 1+1+1=1
- Ladybug Life Cycle Printables from Itsy Bitsy Fun
- Ladybug Scissor Practice Worksheets from Itsy Bitsy Fun
- Ladybug Printable Pack from Itsy Bitsy Fun
- Ladybug Printables from Making Learning Fun
- Bug Color Matching from The Activity Mom
- Five Little Ladybugs Poem and Ladybug Templates from KidSparkz
- Five Little Ladybugs Song and Fingerplay from Teaching Mama
- Race to 10 Ladybug Spots Printable from Schooltime Snippets
- Ladybug Apple Snacks Printable Recipe from Billy Gorilly
- Ladybug Letter Match from Confessions of a Homeschooler
- Ladybug Alphabet Match from I Heart Crafty Things
- Ladybug Counting from Playing House
- Little Ladybug Song Chart from A Teacher’s Touch
- Number Recognition Activity: Ladybugs on a Leaf from The Measured Mom
- Printable Counting Activity for Preschoolers: Ladybug Count & Clip Cards from The Measured Mom
- Missing Addend Activity – Number Flip Cards from The Measured Mom
- Printable Addition Game: Ladybug Roll and Cover from The Measured Mom
- Ladybug Math Addition from Jenny at Dapperhouse
- Ladybug Sudoku Puzzles from Gift of Curiosity
- Roll a Dot Ladybug Page from Chestnut Grove Academy
- Make 10 Spots Ladybug Math Activity from Preschool Powol Packets
- Ladybug Count and Clip Cards by Preschool Powol Packets at 3 Boys and a Dog
- Ladybug Math Activities (subscriber freebie from Look! We’re Learning
- Ladybug Flash Cards 1-10 (could be used with manipulatives for 1 to 1 Correspondence) from Mr Printables
- Ladybug Printables from KidSparkz
- Ladybug Friends (includes a pattern for a cute, 3-dimensional ladybug craft) from Danielle’s Place
- Ladybug Writing and Math K-1 for Likers of the Wise Owl Factory Facebook Page
- Ladybug Printables (for a number of ages) from DLTK’s Crafts for Kids
- Ladybug Craft from One Colorful Day
- The Grouchy Ladybug Unit Study (subscriber freebie) from Proverbial Homemaker
- The Grouchy Ladybug Craft from Buggy and Buddy
- Free Ladybug Printables from Teachers Pay Teachers
Learn more about my eBook Montessori at Home or School: How to. Teach Grace and Courtesy!
If this is your first time visiting Living Montessori Now, welcome! If you haven’t already, please join us on our Living Montessori Now Facebook page where you’ll find a Free Printable of the Day and lots of inspiration and ideas for parenting and teaching! And please follow me on Pinterest (lots of Montessori-, holiday-, and theme-related boards), Instagram, and YouTube. You can find me on bloglovin’ and Twitter, too.
And don’t forget one of the best ways to follow me by signing up for my weekly newsletter. You’ll receive some awesome freebies in the process!