Activities for care of self are an essential part of the Montessori curriculum. They’re especially important for helping children develop both coordination and independence. At the same time, dressing frames are often among the least-popular materials in Montessori schools.
While the dressing frames are still important for Montessori schools, there are easy DIY versions and alternatives that work well for homeschools and other preschools. This is an area where you can save some money and get the same results (and often have a version that’s more interesting to toddlers and preschoolers)!
Easy DIY Montessori Dressing Frames
Here are a variety of easy and inexpensive (or free) DIY dressing frames:
- Promoting Independent Dressing – Montessori Inspired (with dressing frames created using document frames, old clothes, and a staple gun) from Child Central Station
- We Made Dressing Frames from Toddler Approved from Toddler Approved (using picture frames, old clothes, and a staple gun)
DIY: Montessori Dressing Frames for Toddlers from Montessori for Infants and Toddlers
Montessori Dressing Frames from Montessori en Casa
DIY Montessori Dressing Boards from Musings of an im-Perfect Mom
DIY Dressing Frames from DIY Montessori
Montessori Inspired Dressing Boards from Stir the Wonder
Dressing Frames & Other Goodwill Finds from Havin’ Fun Yet?
Dressing Frames from Homemade Montessori
Easy DIY Montessori Dressing Frames from Mama’s Happy Hive
Easy DIY – Montessori Dress Frames from the Muslimah Guide
DIY Dressing Frame Alternatives
- Zippered Vest Draped Over the Back of a Chair from Planting Peas (blog is no longer available)
- Montessori Dressing Corner from Montessori on a Budget
- Dressing Basket from Montessori ici
- Dressing Board from Simply Montessori
Cold Weather Dressing Basket by Jessie from The Education of Ours at Mommy Moment
- How to Use a Button Snake for Fine Motor Development from Mama OT
- Felt Button Snakes for Boys from What DID We Do All Day?
- Button Snake in Two Sizes from Making Montessori Ours
Button Snake from Counting Coconuts
- Button, Zipper, and Snap Strips from Therapy Street for Kids
- Flower Button Board from Chasing Cheerios
Dressing Frame Presentations
Here are a few traditional Association Montessori Internationale presentations:
Montessori Dressing Frames from InfoMontessori
Montessori – Practical Life – Dressing Frame – Zipper Video from InfoMontessori
Montessori Practical Life Dressing Frame: The Buckle Video from InfoMontessori
Montessori Practical Life Dressing Frame: Hook and Eye Video from InfoMontessori
Montessori Practical Life Dressing Frame: Lacing Video from InfoMontessori
More Dressing Tips
Fun Shoe and Coat Tricks for Toddler Independence (my post with video and poem)
Dressing Tips and Activities from Therapy Fun Zone
Tips for Helping Kids Get Dressed Independently from The Preschool Toolbox
More Care of Self Activities and Ideas
I have a roundup post with lots of Montessori-inspired activities for care of self.
Have you used dressing frames or an alternative for your child or classroom?
Learn more about my eBook Montessori at Home or School: How to. Teach Grace and Courtesy!
If this is your first time visiting Living Montessori Now, welcome! If you haven’t already, please join us on our Living Montessori Now Facebook page where you’ll find a Free Printable of the Day and lots of inspiration and ideas for parenting and teaching! And please follow me on Pinterest (lots of Montessori-, holiday-, and theme-related boards), Instagram, and YouTube. You can find me on bloglovin’ and Twitter, too.
And don’t forget one of the best ways to follow me by signing up for my weekly newsletter. You’ll receive some awesome freebies in the process!