A fossil theme is both adaptable and fun for many ages. Here are some of my favorite books for a fossil theme … many nonfiction and some just fun!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links (at no cost to you).
Just choose books based on your child’s age and what you think will engage your child’s interest. I recommend checking out the “Look Inside the Book” feature on Amazon and reading reviews there. Another place to learn about a book is on YouTube. You can typically see the entire book there. If you live outside the U.S., be sure to check out Book Depository for great prices and free worldwide delivery.
Montessori-friendly books use photos or realistic illustrations. They don’t have talking animals or a lot of fantasy. But many books that have fantasy and talking animals are wonderful books, and I love sharing them with children who understand the difference between fantasy and reality.
I usually have a majority of Montessori-friendly books for a theme, but I include a variety of books that might not be Montessori-style books but that are simply lots of fun or are classic books that I consider an important part of cultural literacy. For toddlers and preschoolers, about ¾ of the books I use are typically Montessori friendly.
Favorite Books for a Fossil Theme
I’m featuring books here that are about fossils of all kinds along with a variety of dinosaur books, including an adapted fairytale dinosaur book and a book about toy dinosaurs!
Here’s a fun Instagram reel with our fossil books.
Fossil Books (or General Reference Books with Good Information About Fossils) We’re Using:
Top Shelf of Forward -Facing Display:
- DK Smithsonian Picturepedia (Always one of my favorite reference books for a variety of ages, it has a fabulous 2-page spread about fossils, which is shown in my main fossil theme post behind the open book on the easel.)
- DK Smithsoian Science! (This is more for elementary-age kids on up with a great 2-page spread about the fossil record.)
- My Book of Fossils: A fact-filled guide to prehistoric life was just published on April 19, 2022! It’s an amazing book … and probably the best kids’ reference book for a fossil theme!
- National Geographic Kids Ultimate Dinopedia
- National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Dinosaurs
- National Geographic Kids Dinosaurs
- You Can Be a Palentologist!: Discovering Dinosaurs with Dr. Scott
- Dinosaur Lady: The Daring Discoveries of Mary Anning, the First Paleontologist
- Cinderella Rex (a fun, strong-girl twist on Cinderella, where Cinderella Rex is a great dancer, annd the prince wants her to teach him how to dance)
- My Visit to the Dinosaurs
- The Magic School Bus in the Time of the Dinosaurs (always fun and very educational for late preschool on up)
- What the Dinosaurs Did Last Night: a very messy adventure (a silly book that’s great for inspiring kids’ creativity, as seen in this Instagram post by Bluebird Montessori. My 8-year-old granddaughter, Zoey, has been having fun arranging our large Schleich dinosaurs in various play activities. (There are many many types and prices of dinosaurs available that would be great for this.)I just requested that our dinosaurs don’t have very messy adventures!
My Book of Rocks and Minerals: Things to Find, Collect, and Treasure isn’t just about fossils, but it does have some helpful fossil information. I had it open on the easel on our main fossil shelf.
You’ll also find some fossil information in:
- National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Science
- My Encyclopedia of Very Important Things
- Super Earth Encyclopedia
You can also see lots of fossil books as they’re published here.
General Fossil and Dinosaur Resources
- Dinosaur Discovery Activities from Montessori By Mom
- Simple Dinosaur Sensory Bin with Dinosaur Eggs Scavenger Hunt
- Montessori-Inspired Dinosaur Unit
- Montessori-Inspired Dinosaur Fun with Printables, Water Beads, and Glass Gems
- Montessori-Inspired Dinosaur Activities Using Dinosaur Replicas
- Make Fossils from Montessori at Home!
- Free Dinosaur Printables and Montessori-Inspired Dinosaur Math Activities
- Dinosaur Ice Melt Science Experiment for Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Free Dinosaur Printables and Montessori-Inspired Dinosaur Language Activities
- Free Dinosaur Do-a-Dot Printable (Montessori-Inspired Instant Download)
- Free Dinosaur Cutting Strips (Montessori-Inspired Instant Download)
- Free Paleontology Cutting Strips (Montessori-Inspired Instant Download)
- I Have, Who Has? Dinosaur Game
- Free Oviparous Animal Printables and Montessori-Inspired Oviparous Animal Activities
- Dinosaur Unit Study Pinterest Board
Learn more about my eBook Montessori at Home or School: How to. Teach Grace and Courtesy!
If this is your first time visiting Living Montessori Now, welcome! If you haven’t already, please join us on our Living Montessori Now Facebook page where you’ll find a Free Printable of the Day and lots of inspiration and ideas for parenting and teaching! And please follow me on Instagram, Pinterest (lots of Montessori-, holiday-, and theme-related boards), and YouTube. While you’re here, please check out the Living Montessori Now shop.
And don’t forget one of the best ways to follow me by signing up for my weekly newsletter. You’ll receive some awesome freebies in the process!