I love to prepare extensions for the Montessori hundred board. The hundred board is a great material, but I think it’s even greater when fun, hands-on extensions, such as this 100 ducks hundred board, are added.
My latest DIY hundred board extension is an activity for counting 100 ducks to go with our current duckling theme. It was a total hit with my 4-year-old granddaughter, Zoey!
Disclosure: This post contains some affiliate links (at no cost to you).
Materials Used for Montessori Hundred Board Extension of Counting 100 Ducks
- Free Printable Hundreds Board/Hundreds Chart Large (printed at 75%) by Jessica Stanley at Teachers Pay Teachers
- 100-Pack Mini Rubber Ducks
- Foam core board (poster board would also work)
- X-acto knife
- Glue Stick
- Montessori Services Basket (I use this for many activities.)
- Lamination if you wish
How to Prepare the Counting 100 Ducks Hundred Board
This was amazingly easy.
- If you print out the hundreds board at 100%, it’ll have 2″ squares. I wanted 1.5″ squares, so I printed mine at 75%. That worked perfectly.
- Cut out the printed pages.
- Laminate the pages if you wish. (I didn’t.)
- Then you simply need to cut out foam core board backing the same size as the printable and glue the printable pieces together to make a large hundred board.
I love that this can be used to count a variety of objects for a hundred board extension for different themes and seasons! It can also be used as a 100th Day of School activity!
Presenting the Counting 100 Ducks Hundred Board
Zoey was in love with the mini ducks! I simply told Zoey that she could count the ducks to 100. She didn’t need any extra direction. She loves showing how she can count to 100, so she counted each duck as she placed it on the appropriate square. (You could could the ducks together with a child who is still becoming comfortable with counting to 100.)
This is a simple variation that reinforces the concept of counting to 100. It’s easy to place the ducks on the hundred board, so the child doesn’t need to slow down a lot to count to 100.
Other Extensions for the Montessori Hundred Board
A number of my themed posts have hundred chart art (something I love).
More Duckling Resources and Activities
- Free Duckling Printables and Montessori-Inspired Duckling Activities
- Free Make Way for Ducklings Do-a-Dot Printable (Montessori-Inspired Instant Download)
- The Best Duck and Duckling Books for Kids
I’d love to hear about your favorite hundred board extension! 🙂
Learn more about my eBook Montessori at Home or School: How to. Teach Grace and Courtesy!
If this is your first time visiting Living Montessori Now, welcome! If you haven’t already, please join us on our Living Montessori Now Facebook page where you’ll find a Free Printable of the Day and lots of inspiration and ideas for parenting and teaching! And please follow me on Pinterest (lots of Montessori-, holiday-, and theme-related boards), Instagram, and YouTube. You can find me on bloglovin’ and Twitter, too.
And don’t forget one of the best ways to follow me by signing up for my weekly newsletter. You’ll receive some awesome freebies in the process!