Gingerbread activities are so much fun in December! Today, I have links to lots of free gingerbread printables for preschoolers through 1st graders (and sometimes older). And I have some fun, Montessori-inspired gingerbread activities, too!
At PreK + K Sharing, I have lots and lots of themed activities and presentation ideas.
Disclosure: This post contains some affiliate links (at no cost to you).
Montessori-Inspired Gingerbread Activities Using Free Printables
Gingerbread Visual Discrimination and Fine-Motor Activity
This is a simple but fun activity using the free Gingerbread Visual Discrimination Printable from Pre-K Pages. You can either print, laminate, and cut out the task cards as I did, or you can create a booklet for children to use. I used a large plastic tray and added quick sticks from Montessori Services to include a fun fine-motor activity.
Gingerbread Man Color Sort
For this activity, I used Gingerbread Man Color Sort from Making Learning Fun. You could just cut out the cards with the gingerbread men instead of individually cutting out each gingerbread man, which would be a bit quicker. I wanted my gingerbread men to look more like cookies, so I cut out the individual gingerbread men. The plates are just construction paper using the printables from Making Learning fun. I used a Montessori Services rug for my layout.
Gingerbread Odd and Even Activity
This tray uses the Gingerbread Even or Odd from Mrs. Kelly’s Klass. I love that this can extend the Montessori cards and counters introduction of odd and even. If you use the Montessori Primary Guide cards and counters lesson linked to in the post, you can see how to introduce odd and even. Of course, it helps if children are comfortable with cards and counters and have been introduced to the decimal system before doing this activity. This activity can show that odd and even is only dependent on the units’ place value. (Note: the gingerbread man from this activity would be great for a place value activity similar to my Christmas tree place value activity here last year.)
You could have glass gems available as a way for children to check any odd or even numbers they’re unsure of. You could also have one control dot for odd numbers and two control dots for even numbers on the back of each card as a control of error.
Gingerbread Man Symmetry Design Tray
This activity uses the free Gingerbread Man Symmetry by Floriane Siegel at Teachers Pay Teachers. I’m not a fan of coloring activities unless they further creativity or have an educational purpose (Montessori activities such as coloring specific continents or parts of something are some of my favorite uses of coloring). I like this activity because it allows children to create a symmetrical design and learn about symmetry with a coloring activity.
Gingerbread Holiday Beginning Sounds Activity
Gingerbread Holiday Beginning Sounds from Kinders on the Block is a cute printable for a phonics activity reinforcing beginning sounds. I used miniature clothespins to help develop fine-motor skills. These clothespins are from the Building and Blocks Toolbox from Montessori By Mom. You can learn more about introducing beginning sounds in my DIY Sandpaper Letters post.
I was excited about the Gingerbread Common Core Positional Word Daily Writing Activity from The Barefoot Teacher. It can be used for a writing activity using the printable page.
I thought it would also be fun as a variation of Elf on the Shelf. The gingerbread man could be printed out in whatever size you’d like and placed in a new place in the classroom or at home each day. Children could identify the location using positional words either verbally or in writing.
Here’s the link to my favorite laminator … inexpensive and great for almost any activity that needs to be laminated!
Free Gingerbread Printables for Preschoolers-First Graders (some printables for up to grade 3)
- Preschool Gingerbread Baby Printables from Homeschool Creations (featured in my Montessori-Inspired Christmas Language Activities and Free Christmas Printables)
- Gingerbread Cookie Even and Odd Sort from Homeschool Creations
- The Gingerbread Baby Unit Study and Printables from Homeschool Share
- Gingerbread Baby Board Game from Jan Brett
- Gingerbread Man Packs Tot-2nd from Royal Baloo
- Gingerbread Man Templates from Gift of Curiosity
- Gingerbread Man Templates from First Palette
- Gingerbread Man Pattern from All Free Crafts
- Gingerbread Man Lacing Card from Learning 2 Walk
- Gingerbread Playdough Mats from Wise Owl Factory
- Gingerbread Man Printables for Playdough from Totschooling
- Gingerbread Man Printables for Kids from Kids Activities Blog
- Gingerbread Printables from Making Learning Fun
- Gingerbread Man Printables and Themed Unit from Teaching Heart
- Gingerbread Pirates Printables from 123 Homeschool 4 Me
- Gingerbread Man Printable Pack PreK-3 from Embark on the Journey
- Gingerbread Man Lacing Card from Learning to Walk
- Gingerbread Man Characters from Pre-K Pages
- Gingerbread Printables from PreKinders
- Gingerbread Man Hunt Printables from Playdough to Plato
- Gingerbread Man Printables from Activity Village
- Gingerbread Man Printables from DLTK’s Crafts for Kids
- Gingerbread Man Printables from Kidzone
- Gingerbread Man Printable Activities from First School
- Gingerbread Writing and Reading Kindergarten Activities from Green Bean Kindergarten
- Gingerbread Man 10 Frames from Heidi Songs
- Count the Gumdrops Gingerbread Man Activity from Heidi Songs
- Teaching Children to Follow Direction with the Gingerbread Man from Heidi Songs
- Gingerbread Man Secret Code Worksheet from Heidi Songs
- Hidden Gingerbread Man Color Words from Heidi Songs
- Gingerbread Play Dough Free Recipe from Ben and Me
- Gingerbread Men Recipe and Sweet Treat Tags from The TomKat Studio
- Gingerbread Printables from Teachers Pay Teachers
- Gingerbread Printables from Teachers Notebook
A Montessori-inspired gingerbread activity that’s simple to prepare but doesn’t use a printable: Montessori-Inspired Christmas Gingerbread Man Fine-Motor Activity or Craft.
Please join me at PreK + K Sharing to see all my posts there over the years: Deb Chitwood at PreK + K Sharing.
Learn more about my eBook Montessori at Home or School: How to. Teach Grace and Courtesy! I’m also one of the coauthors of the book Learn with Play – 150+ Activities for Year-round Fun & Learning!
If this is your first time visiting Living Montessori Now, welcome! If you haven’t already, please join us on our Living Montessori Now Facebook page where you’ll find a Free Printable of the Day and lots of inspiration and ideas for parenting and teaching! And please follow me on Pinterest (lots of Montessori-, holiday-, and theme-related boards), Twitter (blog posts by me and others along with the Parent/Teacher Daily and other interesting information), and Google+ (post updates). You can find me on bloglovin’, Instagram, and YouTube, too.
And don’t forget one of the best ways to follow me by signing up for my weekly newsletter. You’ll get two awesome freebies (and a monthly subscriber freebie) in the process!