The moon is very popular at my house. My 3¾-year-old granddaughter, Zoey, has been totally in love with the moon for about two years now. So today I’m adding to our themed moon work with free moon printables and more Montessori-inspired moon activities. I also have my new Montessori-inspired moon pack (subscriber freebie)!
In addition to our new moon pack, I have a special instant download from The Montessori Company with a hand-painted moon culture card!
The links are for free moon printables for preschoolers through 1st graders. To keep my list manageable, I don’t share coloring pages unless a page has a specific educational purpose related to moons.
At PreK + K Sharing, I tell how I used the printables to prepare Montessori-inspired moon activities. I also have links to other posts with additional ideas and presentations.
Free Printables Used in the Pictured Moon Activities for Preschoolers-First Graders
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links (at no cost to you).
Montessori Shelves with Moon-Themed Activities
My shelves with moon-themed activities include a free moon culture card designed by The Montessori Company. You’ll also find Montessori-inspired moon numbers, letters, spinners, and and more (part of my subscriber freebie pack, so just sign up for my email to get the link and password … or check the bottom of your latest newsletter if you’re already a subscriber)
I added our well-loved Hugg-a-Moon from the Pocket Hugg-a-Planet Earth and Moon. I have a number of moon books, both nonfiction and fiction, for our moon unit. Gail Gibbons’ books have lots of easily understood information. That’s also true for The Moon Book. I added The Moon and So That’s How the Moon Changes Shape! to the shelf. I have some fiction moon books in our book baskets.
You could mix your moon-themed activities among your shelves according to curriculum area. Or you could have a special moon area something like the one pictured. My shelves this month have a mixture of skill levels. Many of the activities can be adapted for a variety of levels. If you’re a homeschooler, just choose the activities that work for your child’s interests and ability levels. If you don’t have room for all the activities you’d like to do, simply rotate them.
Moon Culture Card (on Shelf with Hugg-a-Moon and Moon Books)
I’m happy to share with you this beautiful hand-painted moon culture card from The Montessori Company. You can use it on your shelves to introduce a moon unit. I’m hosting the free printable as an instant download at Living Montessori Now. You can always access the free moon culture card here.
The description says: “The Moon orbits the earth every 27.3 days. It has lower gravity than Earth does but it still affects the tides here on Earth.”
Doodle on the Moon Activity
Free Printable: Doodle on the Moon from Mr Printables
Free Printable: Trip to the Moon Cards from Every Star Is Different
Free Printables: Phases of the Moon Pages from Homeschool Clipart. There are some great phases-of-the-moon printables available online. I chose this one because it has printables for a variety of levels.
For this tray, I used Montessori Services’ wood handled puncher to make a pin-punch activity along with glue to make it a pin-punch-and-paste activity. You could add scissors to make a cut-and-paste activity.
I printed the phases of the moon page at 85% so that the moons would fit perfectly on the Phases of the Moon Chart. If you have the child punch around the white moon shapes only, they can be glued to the Phases of the Moon Chart to create the moon as seen in each phase.
M is for Moon Sand Writing Tray
Free Printables: Moon in manuscript, D’Nealian, or Cursive for Letter M Sand Writing Tray (part of my subscriber freebie pack, so just sign up for my email to get the link and password … or check the bottom of your latest newsletter if you’re already a subscriber)
For the tray, I used the wooden tray from the Melissa & Doug Lace and Trace Shapes. You can use whatever tray or container work best for you, though.
Moon oo Phonogram Card and Booklet
Free Printables: “ow” owl font cards (part of my subscriber freebie pack, so just sign up for my email to get the link and password … or check the bottom of your latest newsletter if you’re already a subscriber)
Free Printable: Green Series Phonogram Long oo with Pictures and Words from MontessoriSoul
I love the simplicity of this! It was so easy to prepare, yet it isolates the oo phonogram very well. I have a post and video on how to introduce words starting with phonograms, even with very young children.
Free Printable: Moon Bingo by Stevie Snee at Teachers Pay Teachers
Free Printables: Moon Numbers and Moon Spinner (part of my subscriber freebie pack, so just sign up for my email to get the link and password … or check the bottom of your latest newsletter if you’re already a subscriber)
This activity uses a piece of felt for a table mat and bead bars from the decanomial box in Montessori Services baskets. (My bead bars, which I love, are from Alison’s Montessori. You can get them on Amazon, although I haven’t personally used materials from those companies.)
Free Printable: Coin Poems from Buggy and Buddy. This isn’t actually a moon printable, but I love how well it works with the moon bank for teaching preschoolers about money.
Because Zoey loves the moon and piggy banks so much, I got her the National Geographic Glowing Moon Money Bank. I used Multicraft tray and a Bambu condiment cup to hold 10 pennies, 10 nickels, 1o dimes, and 10 quarters.
Zoey sorted out the coins onto the page (she chose to stack them) while I read the matching poem. Then she put all the coins into the moon bank. At another time, we’ll talk about how much money ten of each coin makes.
Free Moon Printables for Preschoolers-First Graders
Montessori-Inspired Moon Pack for DIY Cards and Counters, Number or Letter Matching, Number or Letter Basket, Bead Bar Work, Hands-on Math Operations, Number or Letter Salt/Sand Writing Tray, Letter Tracing, DIY Movable Alphabet, and Creative Writing (subscriber freebie, so just sign up for my email to get the link and password – or check your inbox if you’re already a subscriber)
- Phases of the Moon and M is for Moon Printables from Natural Beach Living
- Moon Activities and Printables for Tots and Preschoolers from Every Star Is Different
- Astronomy Unit: Sun and Moon with Free Printables from Every Star Is Different
- Moon Phases 3-Part Cards with Descriptions from Montessori for Learning
- 3-Part Phases of the Moon Cards from Montessori Soul
- Phases of the Moon 3-Part Cards by Rainbow Girl at Teachers Pay Teachers
- Phases of the Moon 3-Part Cards from Simple Living Creative Learning
- Moon Cards from Montessori Mom
- Moon Phases Printables from Noor Janan Homeschool
- Phases of the Moon Cards from Mostly Montessori
- Phases of the Moon Worksheets from Simple Living Creative Learning
- Phases of the Moon Flipbook from Simple Living Creative Learning
- Phases of the Moon Worksheet from Gift of Curiosity
- Astronomy for Tots printables from Welcome to Mommyhood
- Phases of the Moon Flipbook from Relentlessly Fun Deceptively Educational
- Phases of the Moon Game from Relentlessly Fun Deceptively Educational
- Phases of the Moon Connect-the-Dot from Kids Activities Blog
- Moon Game Board for Math or Letter Matching from Stir the Wonder
- Moon Printables from ABC Teach
- Moon Observation Journal from Buggy and Buddy
- Moon Phases Worksheet from Education.com
- Moon Unit Printables from 123 Homeschool 4 Me
- Space Grid Game from PreKinders
- Space Picture-Word Cards from PreKinders
- Space Pack from 3 Dinosaurs
- Phases of the Moon Printable Pack from Only Passionate Curiosity
- Moon Phases Printable Craft from Learn Create Love
- Goodnight Moon Lapbook from Homeschool Share
- Goodnight Moon Pack from Homeschool Creations
- Poem/The Moon Game from Guybrarian
- Astronomy Calendar Connections from 1+1+1=1
- Moon Printables from Teachers Notebook (the regular search doesn’t work, so click on “free” under narrow search and then click “enter” on your keyboard to find the free magnet printables)
- Moon Printables from Teachers Pay Teachers
More Astronomy Posts and Resources
- Astronaut Unit
- Montessori-Inspired Astronomy Activities
- Montessori-Inspired Star and Constellation Unit
- Montessori-Inspired Moon Unit
- Montessori-Inspired Solar System Activities
- Montessori-Inspired Astronomy Units
- Montessori-Inspired Moon Activities for Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Montessori-Inspired Phases-of-the-Moon Playdough Tray
- Astronomy Unit Study Pinterest Board
Please join me at PreK + K Sharing for ideas on how to use the free printables to create Montessori-inspired moon activities: Montessori-Inspired Moon Activities Using Free Printables.
Learn more about my eBook Montessori at Home or School: How to. Teach Grace and Courtesy! I’m also one of the coauthors of the book Learn with Play – 150+ Activities for Year-round Fun & Learning!The Montessori at Home! eBook and Montessori at Home! eBook and Materials Bundle are AMAZING resources! You can learn more about them here. Buy them in the Living Montessori Now shop.If this is your first time visiting Living Montessori Now, welcome! If you haven’t already, please join us on our Living Montessori Now Facebook pagewhere you’ll find a Free Printable of the Day and lots of inspiration and ideas for parenting and teaching! And please follow me on Pinterest (lots of Montessori-, holiday-, and theme-related boards), Twitter (blog posts by me and others along with the Parent/Teacher Daily and other interesting information), and Google+ (post updates and Montessori Community). You can find me on bloglovin’, Instagram, and YouTube now, too.
And don’t forget one of the best ways to follow me by signing up for my weekly newsletter. You’ll get two awesome freebies (and a monthly subscriber freebie) in the process!