Hands-on materials are perfect for introducing fraction concepts. Whether the child is a preschooler or elementary-age student, hands-on activities make fraction concepts much easier to understand. Every Star Is Different has some fabulous Montessori fraction printables, giving hands-on activities that are perfect for preschool through elementary!
Disclosure: I’ve been given a copy of these materials to review. My opinions are honest and my own. This post contains affiliate links (at no cost to you).
I’ve loved all the materials I’ve used from Every Star Is Different.
Here are the Fabulous Fraction Materials Available from Every Star Is Different:
A new fractions bundle has just been published by Every Star Is Different! And it’s 75% off until further notice in January 2021!
Fractions: Equivalence Clip Cards Printable Pack (20 pages, 2 concepts, 100 clip cards)
Fractions: Reduction Clip Cards Printable Pack (63 pages, 1 concept, 341 clip cards)
Improper Fractions & Mixed Number Clip Cards Printable Pack (20 pages, 2 concepts, 100 clip cards)
Fractions: Addition Clip Cards Printable Pack (39 pages, 4 concepts, 200 clip cards)
Fractions: Subtraction Clip Cards Printable Pack (38 pages, 4 concepts, 200 clip cards)
Fractions: Multiplication Clip Cards Printable Pack (47 pages, 5 concepts, 250 clip cards)
Fractions: Division Clip Cards Printable Pack (47 pages, 5 concepts, 250 clip cards)
The clip cards follow the Montessori elementary math curriculum, although they can be used with any method of teaching fractions!
Montessori-Inspired Intro to Fractions Printable Pack (The Bonus)!
The Montessori-Inspired Intro to Fractions Printable Pack was published in August 2019. My then-5½-year-old granddaughter, Zoey, is shown at that time using some materials from that pack. The Montessori-Inspired Intro to Fractions Printable Pack works well for preschool through early elementary. Again, it’s now included as a bonus in The Ultimate Fractions Bundle!
Montessori-inspired Intro to Fractions Printable Pack Table of Contents
- Fraction Number Tickets and Strips
- Fraction Cards
- Red Fraction Circles 1-10
- Fraction Circle Outlines 1-10
- Fraction Word Match Up Strips
- Color in Fraction Cards with Circles and Numbers
- Color in Fraction Cards with Circles and Words
- Red Rectangle Fraction Nomenclature Cards 1-10
- Red Rectangle Fraction Clip Cards 1-10
- Equal or Not Equal Parts Red Fraction Clip Cards
I often like to make a mini unit to feature a concept or theme. I prepared a Montessori shelf with some fractions books and printables from the Montessori-Inspired Intro to Fractions Pack. I kept these two books from when my now-adult kids were little: Eating Fractions and Gator Pie.
I love the concept of using food to illustrate fractions, as it’s done in Eating Fractions. The hairstyles look dated, but you can get the book reasonably priced as a used book. Gator Pie is so much fun! It isn’t a Montessori-style book, but it’s a silly, super-fun way to introduce fractions through alligators trying to find a way to split a chocolate marshmallow pie.
After reading the books, Zoey worked with some of the printables from the Intro to Fractions Pack. First, she used the red fraction circles I’d printed out on thick photo paper (our version of the Montessori fraction materials). I like using the printables because I don’t have space on my shelves for the metal fraction circles with stands, and they’re not a Montessori material I consider essential to own for home use (although there are a variety of wonderful Montessori-friendly fraction materials that don’t take up much space).
The printables are compact enough that I could fit them into a Montessori card display box (see shelf above). Zoey matched the sizes of the fraction pieces to sort out the pieces for each circle before putting each fraction circle together. Then she matched red rectangle fraction nomenclature cards to the completed circles. There are many ways you could use these two printables from the pack. This is just a way that worked well for us.
Zoey also worked with the equal or not equal parts clip cards. This was a great activity for recognizing symmetry and parts that are equal or unequal.
On another day, Zoey will work with coloring in fraction circles (shown in the middle of the shelf above). I’ll let her choose which markers or colored pencils she’d like to use. Letting her choose how she wants to design each part of her cards is half the fun!
There are still many more printables and options for using them in the Intro to Fractions Printable Pack alone.
Fractions: Equivalence Clip Cards Printable Pack
- Introduces equivalent fractions.
- Teaches greater than and less than concepts when working with fractions.
- Provides hands on practice when paired with Montessori fraction circles.
This photo shows an activity using just two fraction printables from Every Star Is Different. The printable fraction circles are from the Montessori-inspired Intro to Fractions Printable Pack, and the clip cards are from the Fractions: Equivalence Clip Cards Printable Pack. (Note: I don’t own the metal fraction circles for home use. They wouldn’t fit in my shelf space, so I use these printable fraction circles.) The book is the fun DK Amazing Visual Math.⠀
Fractions: Reduction Clip Cards Printable Pack
- Isolates the concept of reducing fractions to help students master skill before applying it to fraction operations.
- Provides a new way to practice multiplication and division facts
- Includes multiple reduction possibilities for every fraction up to 9/10.
Fractions: Improper and Mixed Number Clip Cards Printable Pack
- Helps students identify improper fractions while completing fraction work.
- Isolates the process of turning improper fractions into mixed numbers without the worry of other steps to solve the problem, in order to ensure mastery of the concept.
- Provides practice with and without reduction of the final answer.
Fractions: Addition Clip Cards Printable Pack
- Starts with the most basic concepts when adding fractions and progresses to the most difficult problems.
- Includes practice finding the common denominator in a variety of ways.
- Facilitates the transition from concrete to abstract.
Fractions: Subtraction Clip Cards Printable Pack
- Works hand in hand with the Addition Clip Cards Printable Pack.
- Includes practice finding the common denominator in variety of ways.
- Presents four different steps to mastery of subtraction in fractions.
Fractions: Multiplication Clip Cards Printable Pack
- Includes multiplying two fractions, one fraction by a whole number, and a whole number by a fraction.
- Provides more work with improper fractions, mixed numbers, and reduction.
- Builds upon knowledge of multiplication facts.
Fractions: Division Clip Cards Printable Pack
- Works hand in hand with the Multiplication Clip Cards Printable Pack.
- Includes dividing two fractions, one fraction by a whole number, and a whole number by a fraction.
- Provides more work with improper fractions, mixed numbers, and reduction.
My Reviews of Montessori Printables from Every Star Is Different
After the gallery has loaded, you can see all my posts with reviews of Every Star Is Different printables. Just click on an image to go to that post!
You can see all the products in the Every Star Is Different shop here.
Again, get The Ultimate Fractions Bundle at 75% off (only $9.99) through January 6, 2021!
Thanks for being so awesome!
Learn more about my eBook Montessori at Home or School: How to. Teach Grace and Courtesy!
If this is your first time visiting Living Montessori Now, welcome! If you haven’t already, please join us on our Living Montessori Now Facebook page where you’ll find a Free Printable of the Day and lots of inspiration and ideas for parenting and teaching! And please follow me on Pinterest (lots of Montessori-, holiday-, and theme-related boards), and Twitter. You can find me on bloglovin’, Instagram, and YouTube, too.
And don’t forget one of the best ways to follow me by signing up for my weekly newsletter. You’ll receive some awesome freebies in the process!