Welcome to my calendar of July themed activities for kids. You’ll find all my unit studies and holiday posts listed by themes in my “Should You Use Unit Studies?” post. Here you’ll find lots of themes for July according to holiday or calendar observances.
You’ll find more links for calendar observances in my “Enliven Your Homeschool with Some Calendar Fun” post. The post has links to resources for calendar observances for any level. I’m focusing here on July themes for preschoolers through early elementary, although I’ve added some calendar observances for pre-teens and teens.
Note: Be sure to click the images in my Memetales photo collage. You’ll go to the post containing the image!
Summer Themed Posts
Monthly Observances for July
Monthly observances can be used for themed activities throughout the month or for one or two weeks during the month.
- Anti-Boredom Month – Summer Fun Pinterest Board
- National Baked Bean Month
- Bioterrorism/Disaster Education and Awareness Month
- National Blueberry Month – Montessori-Inspired Fruit Unit
- Cell Phone Courtesy Month
- National “Doghouse Repairs” Month
- Family Reunion Month – How to Help Your Child Feel Comfortable Greeting Relatives
- National Grilling Month
- National Horseradish Month
- National Hot Dog Month
- National Ice Cream Month – Montessori-Inspired Natural Ice Cream in a Bag
- National Make a Difference to Children Month
- Mango and Melon Month – Montessori-Inspired Fruit Unit
- National Park and Recreation Month
- National Picnic Month
- Smart Irrigation Month
- Wild about Wildlife Month
- International Zine Month
July Calendar Observances with Changing Dates
- Build a Scarecrow Day (first Sunday in July) July 7, 2013
- National Rabbit Week: Starting July 15, 2013
- National Ice Cream Day (third Sunday in July) July 21, 2013 – Montessori-Inspired Natural Ice Cream in a Bag
- Ramadan starts July 9, 2013 (July 10, 2013 in North America). Each year, Ramadan begins about eleven days earlier than in the previous year.
- Barn Day (second Sunday in July) July 14, 2013 – Montessori Grammar Farm, Montessori-Inspired Farm Unit, Safari Ltd. Farm TOOBS and Keys, Free Farm Printables and Montessori-Inspired Farm Activities Using Replicas and Printables, 40+ Farm Sensory Tubs, Inexpensive, Simple-to-Prepare Montessori Grammar Farm
July Dates that Can Be Used for Themed Activities
Calendar observances are great for mini units or even units that might last the whole month.
- July 1: Canada Day
- July 1: International Joke Day
- July 1: First American Zoo Opened in Philadelphia, 1874 – Montessori-Inspired Zoo Animal Unit and Montessori-Inspired Zoo Animal Unit (2012)
- July 1: National Postal Worker Day
- July 2: First Zeppelin Flight, 1900
- July 4: Independence Day (USA) – Child-Led Patriotism, Montessori-Inspired Fun with Golf Balls and Ping Pong Balls, Montessori-Inspired Patriotic Unit, Montessori-Inspired 4th of July Activities, Patriotic Practical Life and Math Activity
- July 4: Independence-from-Meat Day – Creating Healthy Family Recipes
- July 5: Graham Cracker Day
- July 5: Phineas Taylor Barnum (started the traveling circus) Born, 1810 – Circus Unit Study Pinterest Board
- July 7: Father-Daughter Take a Walk Together Day
- July 7: National Macaroni Day
- July 8: Liberty Bell Cracked, 1835 while being rung at the funeral of John Marshall
- July 9: National Sugar Cookie Day
- July 10: Teddy Bear Picnic Day – Montessori-Inspired Teddy Bear Activities
- July 11: Cheer Up the Lonely Day
- July 11: World Population Day
- July 11: E.B. White born, 1899 (For a thorough children’s author birthday calendar, see the right sidebar of Happy Birthday Author)
- July 12: Henry David Thoreau Born, 1817
- July 12: Paper Bag Day – The paper bag manufacturing machine was patented.
- July 13: Go West Day – Little House on the Prairie Unit Study
- July 13: National French Fries Day
- July 14: Bastille Day
- July 14: National Pick Blueberries Day – Montessori-Inspired Fruit Unit, Montessori-Inspired Food Art
- July 14: Tape Measure Day
- July 16: World Snake Day
- July 16: Fresh Spinach Day
- July 17: Disneyland Opens, 1955
- July 17: Sewing Machine Patented, 1790
- July 18: Mandela Day – Mandela Day Materials on Sale for a Dime for a Limited Period
- July 18: Astronaut John Glenn Born, 1921 – Astronaut Unit
- July 20: Moon Day – First Landing on the Moon, 1969 – Astronaut Unit, Montessori-Inspired Moon Unit, Goodnight Moon Resources and Activities
- July 20: International Chess Day
- July 20: National Lollipop Day
- July 22: Pied Piper of Hamelin Day
- July 23: National Mosquito Day – Montessori-Inspired Insect Unit
- July 24: Amelia Earhart Born, 1897
- July 25: Thread the Needle Day
- July 26: National Lumberjack Day
- July 26: Jan Berenstain born, 1923
- July 27: Bagpipe Appreciation Day
- July 28: Beatrix Potter Born, 1866
- July 29: NASA Established, 1958 – Astronaut Unit, Montessori-Inspired Astronomy Activities, Montessori-Inspired Star and Constellation Unit, Montessori-Inspired Moon Unit, Montessori-Inspired Solar System Activities and World Space Week 2012 Blog Hop
- July 29: World Tiger Day
- July 29: National Lasagna Day
- July 30: Comedy Day
- July 30: Paperback Book Day
- July 30: National Cheesecake Day
- July 31: First US Patent Issued – Granted to Samuel Hopkins, 1790.
I’ll add to this post as I publish new posts that fit in with July-themed observances.
Are you planning to use any themed activities in July?
If this is your first time visiting Living Montessori Now, welcome! If you haven’t already, please join us on our Living Montessori Now Facebook page where you’ll find a Free Printable of the Day and lots of inspiration and ideas for parenting and teaching! And please follow me on Pinterest (lots of Montessori-, holiday-, and theme-related boards), Twitter (blog posts by me and others along with the Parent/Teacher Daily and other interesting information), and Google+ (post updates and Montessori Community). I’m also a Parenting Expert on Sulia. Thank you for following me there, too. And don’t forget one of the best ways to follow me by signing up for my weekly newsletter in the right sidebar (you’ll get two awesome freebies in the process)!
Linked to Tuesday Tots, The Mommy Club Resources and Solutions at Milk and Cuddles and Crystal & Co., The Weekly Kid’s Co-op, Ultimate Mom Resources, Hearts for Home Blog Hop, Montessori Virtual Sharing Fair, Learn & Link, TGIF Linky Party, Preschool Corner, Sharing Saturday, Saturday Show & Tell, Share It Saturday, Show-and-Share Saturday, The Sunday Showcase, Link & Learn, Afterschool Express