I love using unit studies and themed activities for holidays and calendar observances. You’ll find all my unit studies and holiday posts in my “Should You Use Unit Studies?” post. You might choose to plan unit studies based on your child’s interests. Many unit studies, such as a dinosaur unit or transportation unit, work well at any time of the year.
Some unit studies naturally fit best into specific seasons or months. And many others can be used at any time but are extra fun when combined with a holiday or calendar observance.
With this post, I’m starting a series of 12 posts with monthly themed activities for kids. The February post would have been best at the end of January to allow planning time, but I didn’t think of it then. I’ll publish the other months’ themed activities at the end of the previous month.
If you missed a particular holiday or observance that you’re interested in, you could save the ideas for next year or still observe it if your child is interested. On occasion, I’ve observed minor holidays after the fact by mentioning when the holiday was and introducing activities appropriate for my children’s interests and developmental levels.
You’ll find more links for calendar observances in my “Enliven Your Homeschool with Some Calendar Fun” post. The post has links to resources for calendar observances for any level. I’m focusing here on February themes for preschoolers through early elementary.
Note: Be sure to click the images in my Memetales photo collage. You’ll actually go to the post containing the image!
Monthly Observances for February
Monthly observances can be used for themed activities throughout the month or for one or two weeks during the month.
- American Heart Month/Heart Smart Month/Heart Health Month – Montessori-Inspired Heart and Circulatory System Activities
- American History Month
- Bake for Family Fun Month – Montessori-Inspired Food Preparation for Preschoolers
- Black History Month – Montessori Inspiration for Martin Luther King Day and Montessori-Inspired Study of Africa
- National Bird-Feeding Month – Montessori-Inspired Bird Unit
- National Dental Health Month – Montessori-Inspired Dental Health Unit
- National Children’s Dental Health Month “
- National Pet Dental Health Month “
- International Friendship Month – Montessori-Inspired Peace Education Activities and How to Prepare a Peace Corner
- Library Lovers’ Month – Montessori-Inspired Ideas for Enjoying Books with Your Child or Students
- National Music Month – Montessori-Inspired Music Appreciation, Montessori-Inspired Music Appreciation: Peter and the Wolf, Montessori-Inspired Music Appreciation: Swan Lake, and Montessori-Inspired Music Appreciation: Carnival of the Animals.
- Return Shopping Carts to the Supermarket Month (a fun idea for making a difference)
February Seasonal Themes and Calendar Observances with Changing Dates
- Winter Activities – Montessori-Inspired Winter Activities, Montessori-Inspired Winter Playdough Activities, Montessori-Inspired Winter Math Activities, and 25+ Snow-Themed Sensory Tubs
- Super Bowl Sunday – Kids’ Super Bowl Activities Pinterest Board
- Chinese New Year – Montessori-Inspired Chinese New Year Activities
- The Great Backyard Bird Count – 4-day weekend activity each year
- Mardi Gras – Kids’ Mardi Gras Activities Pinterest Board
- Lent – Montessori-Based Lenten Activities
- Presidents’ Day (3rd Monday) – Montessori-Inspired Activities Teaching about Money and Presidents and Montessori-Inspired Presidents’ Day Activities
February Dates that Can Be Used for Themed Activities
- February 2: Groundhog Day – Groundhog Day Activities for Your Classroom or Homeschool
- February 4: Compliments Day
- February 7: Laura Ingalls Wilder’s Birthday, 1867 – Little House on the Prairie Unit Study
- February 11: National Inventors’Day (The day honors Thomas Alva Edison.)
- February 12: Abraham Lincoln’s Birthday, 1809 – See Presidents’ Day above
- February 14: Valentine’s Day – Turning Valentine Crafts into Montessori-Oriented Activities, Montessori-Inspired Valentine’s Day Activities, Kindness Challenge #2 – Montessori-Inspired Kindness, Montessori-Inspired Valentine’s Day Activities (2012), Montessori-Inspired Valentine Math Trays and Valentine Ideas Blog Hop, Montessori-Inspired Hundred Acts of Kindness Project, and Homeschool Valentine’s Day
- February 14: International Book Giving Day
- February 17: Random Acts of Kindness Day – Kindness Projects for All Ages
- February 19: Solar System Day (Nicolaus Copernicus was born on this day in 1473) – Montessori-Inspired Solar System Activities
- February 22: George Washington’s Birthday, 1732 – See Presidents’ Day above
- February 24: Tell a Fairy Tale Day
- February 25: Artist Pierre Auguste Renoir’s Birthday, 1841 – Montessori-Inspired Art Appreciation and Art Appreciation and Creation for Kids
- February 27: International Polar Bear Day – Montessori-Inspired Arctic and Antarctic Unit
I’ll add to this post as I publish new posts that fit in with February-themed observances.
Are you using themed activities this February?
If this is your first time visiting Living Montessori Now, welcome! If you haven’t already, please join us on our Living Montessori Now Facebook page where you’ll find a Free Printable of the Day and lots of inspiration and ideas for parenting and teaching!
Linked to Tuesday Tots, Tactile Tuesday, The Mommy Club Resources and Solutions at Milk and Cuddles and Crystal & Co., Hearts for Home Blog Hop, The Weekly Kid’s Co-op, Learn & Link, Living Life Intentionally Linky Party, Preschool Corner, Sharing Saturday, Saturday Show & Tell, Share It Saturday, Show-and-Share Saturday, The Sunday Showcase, Link & Learn, and Afterschool Express.