Welcome to my calendar of January themed activities for kids. With this post, I’ve published monthly themed activities posts for the entire year. I’ll update each month’s calendar to keep the series current even in a new year.
You’ll find all my unit studies and holiday posts listed by themes in my “Should You Use Unit Studies?” post. Here you’ll find lots of themes for January according to holiday or calendar observances.
You’ll find more links for calendar observances in my “Enliven Your Homeschool with Some Calendar Fun” post. The post has links to resources for calendar observances for any level. I’m focusing here on January themes for preschoolers through early elementary, although I’ve added some calendar observances for pre-teens and teens. Just choose the observances that are best for your child/family.
Note: Be sure to click the images in my Memetales photo collage. You’ll go to the post containing the image!
Montessori-Inspired Snowman Color Activities, Montessori-Inspired Snowman Letter Activities, Montessori-Inspired Winter Activities, Montessori-Inspired Winter Playdough Activities, Montessori-Inspired Winter Math Activities, and 25+ Snow-Themed Sensory Tubs
Monthly Observances for January
Monthly observances can be used for themed activities throughout the month or for one or two weeks during the month.
- National Bath Safety Month
- Be Kind to Food Servers Month
- National Be On-Purpose Month
- National Blood Donor Month
- Book Blitz Month
- National Braille Literacy Month
- International Brain Teaser Month
- Celebration of Life Month
- International Child-Centered Divorce Awareness Month
- National Clean Up Your Computer Month
- National Eye Health Care Month
- International Creativity Month
- Get Organized Month
- National Hobby Month
- Hot Tea Month
- National Mentoring Month
- International New Year’s Resolution Month for Business
- Oatmeal Month
- National Personal Self-Defense Awareness Month
- National Poverty in America Awareness Month
- Worldwide Rising Star Month
- Self-Help Group Awareness Month
- Self-Love Month
- Shape Up US Month
- National Skating Month
- National Soup Month
- National Staying Healthy Month
- National Thank You Month
- National Train Your Dog Month
- National Volunteer Blood Donor Month
- International Wayfinding Month
- International Wealth Mentality Month
January Calendar Observances with Changing Dates
- Universal Letter Writing Week (2nd Week in January) January 8-14, 2014
- Inauguration Day January 20 every four years – 2013, 2017, 2021
- Martin Luther King Day (3rd Monday in January) January 20, 2014 – Montessori-Inspiration for Martin Luther King Day, Montessori-Inspired Peace Education Activities, How to Prepare a Peace Corner, Montessori-Inspired Respect for Diversity, 100 Acts of Kindness Project Starts
- Preschool Fitness Day (Last Friday in January ) – January 31, 2014 – Montessori-Inspired Physical Fitness for Preschoolers
- Chinese New Year – January 31, 2014 – Montessori-Inspired Chinese New Year Activities
January Dates that Can Be Used for Themed Activities
Calendar observances are great for mini units or even units that might last the whole month.
- January 1: New Year’s Day Starting and Nurturing New Year’s Traditions, Preparing for New Year’s Family Celebrations
- January 1: Betsy Ross born, 1752
- January 1: Paul Revere born 1735
- January 1: Ellis Island Opened, 1892
- January 2: Astronomer Isaac Asimov born, 1920 – Astronaut Unit, Montessori-Inspired Astronomy Activities, Montessori-Inspired Star and Constellation Unit, Montessori-Inspired Moon Unit, Montessori-Inspired Solar System Activities and World Space Week 2012 Blog Hop
- January 2: Run up the Flagpole and See if Anyone Salutes Day
- January 3: Drinking Straw Patented, 1888.
- January 3: Festival of Sleep Day
- January 3: Fruitcake Toss Day
- January 3: Humiliation Day – Kindness Project for Children and Adults of All Ages
- January 4: Isaac Newton born, 1643
- January 4: Louis Braille born, 1809.
- January 4: Trivia Day
- January 5: National Bird Day – Montessori-Inspired Bird Unit
- January 6: Epiphany – Family Christmas Celebrations through Epiphany and Celebrating Epiphany with Your Child
- January 6: Bean Day – Free Montessori Botany Materials for a Gardening Unit, Montessori-Inspired Gardening Unit
- January 6: Cuddle Up Day – How to Help Your Child Treasure Books
- January 7: Old Rock Day – Make Fossils from Montessori at Home!
- January 8: Bubble Bath Day
- January 9: Play God Day – Simple Ways to Make a Difference in the World
- January 9: National Static Electricity Day
- January 10: Houseplant Appreciation Day
- January 10: Peculiar People Day
- January 11: Amelia Earhart flew solo across the Pacific Ocean, 1935
- January 11: Step in a Puddle and Splash Your Friends Day
- January 12: National Pharmacist Day
- January 12: Work Harder Day
- January 13: International Skeptics Day – January 13th, the first Friday the 13th of the year, or October 13th
- January 13: Make Your Dream Come True Day
- January 14: Dress Up Your Pet Day
- January 15: Hat Day – Cat in the Hat Practical Life Activities
- January 16: Nothing Day
- January 17: Benjamin Franklin born, 1706
- January 17: Ditch New Year’s Resolutions Day
- January 18: Thesaurus Day
- January 18: Winnie the Pooh Day – A.A. Milne Born, 1882 -
- January 19: Artist Paul Cezanne born, 1839 – Montessori-Inspired Art Appreciation, Art Appreciation and Creation for Kids
- January 19: National Popcorn Day
- January 20: Penguin Awareness Day – Montessori-Inspired Arctic and Antarctic Unit
- January 21: National Hugging Day
- January 21: Squirrel Appreciation Day – Montessori-Inspired Squirrel and Nut Activities, Outdoor Acorn Math Activities
- January 23: National Pie Day
- January 23: National Handwriting Day
- January 23: Measure Your Feet Day
- January 24: Compliment Day - How to Teach Your Preschooler Manners Using Montessori Principles, Be Kind Online
- January 24: Gold Discovered in California At Sutter’s Mill in 1848 by John Marshall
- January 25: Opposite Day
- January 25: First Winter Olympics held, 1924
- January 27: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Born, 1756 – Montessori-Inspired Music Appreciation
- January 27: Chocolate Cake Day
- January 28: Fun at Work Day
- January 28: National Kazoo Day
- January 29: Multicultural Children’s Book Day
- January 29: National Puzzle Day
- January 31: Backward Day
- January 31: Inspire Your Heart with Art Day – Montessori-Inspired Art Appreciation, Art Appreciation and Creation for Kids
I’ll add to this post as I publish new posts that fit in with January-themed observances.
Learn more about Montessori at Home or School: How to Teach Grace and Courtesy!
If this is your first time visiting Living Montessori Now, welcome! If you haven’t already, please join us on our Living Montessori Now Facebook page where you’ll find a Free Printable of the Day and lots of inspiration and ideas for parenting and teaching! And please follow me on Pinterest (lots of Montessori-, holiday-, and theme-related boards), Twitter (blog posts by me and others along with the Parent/Teacher Daily and other interesting information), and Google+ (post updates and Montessori Community). You can find me on bloglovin’ now, too. I’m also a Parenting Expert on Sulia. Thank you for following me there. And don’t forget one of the best ways to follow me by signing up for my weekly newsletter in the right sidebar. You’ll get two awesome freebies in the process!
May be linked to Afterschool Express, Thoughtful Spot, Tuesday Tots, The Mommy Club Resources and Solutions at Milk and Cuddles and Crystal & Co., Mom’s Library, It’s Playtime, The Weekly Kid’s Co-op, Hearts for Home Blog Hop, Learn & Link, TGIF Linky Party, Preschool Corner, Ultimate Homeschool Pinterest Party, Sharing Saturday, Saturday Show & Tell, Share It Saturday, Show-and-Share Saturday, The Sunday Showcase, Link & Learn.