Today, I’m sharing my calendar of August themed activities for kids. You’ll find all my unit studies and holiday posts listed by themes in my “Should You Use Unit Studies?” post. Here you’ll find lots of themes for August according to holiday or calendar observances.
You’ll find more links for calendar observances in my “Enliven Your Homeschool with Some Calendar Fun” post. The post has links to resources for calendar observances for any level. I’m especially focusing here on August themes for preschoolers through early elementary, although I’ve added some calendar observances for pre-teens and teens.
Note: Be sure to click the images in my Memetales photo collage. You’ll go to the post containing the image!
Summer and Back-to-School Themes
Monthly Observances for August
Monthly observances can be used for themed activities throughout the month or for one or two weeks during the month.
- American Adventures Month
- American Artist Appreciation Month – Montessori-Inspired Art Appreciation and Art Appreciation and Creation for Kids
- Black Business Month
- Children’s Eye Health and Safety Month
- Children’s Vision and Learning Month
- Get Ready for Kindergarten Month – Montessori-Inspired Kindergarten Readiness Activities
- National Golf Month
- Happiness Happens Month – Go on a Smile Hunt with Your Child, August is Happiness Happens Month!
- National Immunization Awareness Month
- National Inventors Month
- Neurosurgery Outreach Month
- National Peach Month – Montessori-Inspired Fruit Unit
- National Spinal Muscular Atrophy Awareness Month
- What Will Be Your Legacy Month – Help Your Child Create Unforgettable Cards and Gifts through Digital Scrapbooking and Digital Scrapbooking Software.
August Calendar Observances with Changing Dates
- Shark Week 2013, August 4-9 (The Discovery Channel) – Shark Unit Study
- National Exercise with Your Child Week, August 4,10 – Montessori-Inspired Movement Activities
- National Friendship Day (first Sunday in August) August 4, 2013; August 3, 2014; August 2, 2015 – Friendship Flower Activities
- Sisters Day (first Sunday in August ) August 4, 2013; August 3, 2014; August 2, 2015
- American Family Day (first Sunday in August ) August 4, 2013; August 3, 2014; August 2, 2015
- Australia Picnic Day (first Monday in August)
- National Smile Week (second week in August)
- International Homeless Animals Day (third Saturday in August)
August Dates that Can Be Used for Themed Activities
Calendar observances are great for mini units or even units that might last the whole month.
- August 1-7: Simplify Your Life Week – It’s Time to Simplify (This is really more for parents than kids, but you could definitely include your kids!)
- August 1-7: National Clown Week – Circus Unit Study Pinterest Board
- August 1: Francis Scott Key Born, 1779 – Kids’ Patriotic Activities Pinterest Board
- August 1: Sports Day
- August 2: First Lincoln Penny Issued, 1909 – Montessori-Inspired Activities Teaching about Money and Presidents, Montessori-Inspired President’s Day Activities, Free Presidents’ Day Printables and Montessori-Inspired Presidents’ Day Activities
- August 2: National Ice Cream Sandwich Day
- August 3: Watermelon Day
- August 4: Barack Obama Born, 1961
- August 5: Neil Armstrong Born, 1930 – Astronaut Unit, Montessori-Inspired Moon Unit
- August 6: Wiggle Your Toes Day
- August 7: National Lighthouse Day
- August 8: Happiness Happens Day – August is Happiness Happens Month!
- August 8: Dollar Day (US dollar was created in 1786)
- August 9: Book Lover’s Day – How to Help Your Child Treasure Books, Montessori-Inspired Ideas for Enjoying Books with Your Child or Students
- August 9: International Art Appreciation Day – Montessori-Inspired Art Appreciation and Art Appreciation and Creation for Kids
- August 9: Smokey Bear’s Birthday, 1944
- August 10: World Lion Day
- August 10: National S’mores Day
- August 11: Don Freeman Born, 1908 (For a thorough children’s author birthday calendar, see the right sidebar of Happy Birthday Author) – Montessori-Inspired Teddy Bear Activities
- August 11: Play in the Sand Day – Simple Excavation Sensory Tubs
- August 12: Middle Children’s Day
- August 13: International Lefthanders Day
- August 14: World Lizard Day
- August 15: National Relaxation Day
- August 15: Transcontinental Railroad Completed, 1869.
- August 16: National Tell a Joke Day
- August 16: Roller Coaster Day
- August 17: Davy Crockett Born, 1786
- August 17: Archaeology Day – Simple Excavation Sensory Tubs
- August 18: Bad Poetry Day – Montessori-Inspired Poetry Activities
- August 19: National Aviation Day (Orville Wright Born, 1871) - Montessori-Inspired Transportation Unit
- August 19: National Potato Day – Montessori-Inspired Vegetable Unit
- August 20: Lemonade Day – Montessori-Inspired Food Preparation for Preschoolers, Kids’ Food Fun Pinterest Board
- August 20: World Mosquito Day – Montessori-Inspired Insect Unit
- August 20: Bill Clinton Born, 1946.
- August 22: Be an Angel Day – How to Help Your Kids Develop Compassion through Service Projects, Simple Ways to Make a Difference in the World
- August 22: National Tooth Fairy Day (and/or February 28) – Montessori-Inspired Dental Health Unit
- August 23: Mexico Gained Its Independence, 1821
- August 24: National Waffle Day
- August 24: Mount Vesuvius Erupted, 79 A.D.
- August 26: Women’s Equality Day (anniversary of women getting the right to vote – the signing of the 19th Amendment, 1920)
- August 26: National Dog Day
- August 27: Mother Teresa Born, 1910 – How to Help Your Kids Develop Compassion through Service Projects, Simple Ways to Make a Difference in the World
- August 28: Dream Day (Martin Luther King Jr. gave his “I Have a Dream” speech, 1963) – Montessori-Inspired Respect for Diversity
- August 31: Maria Montessori Born, 1870 – About Montessori, Montessori Resources, ABCs of Montessori
- August 31: Trail Mix Day – 100-Piece Trail Mix in Montessori-Inspired 100th Day of School Activities
I’ll add to this post as I publish new posts that fit in with August-themed observances.
Are you planning to use any themed activities in August?
If this is your first time visiting Living Montessori Now, welcome! If you haven’t already, please join us on our Living Montessori Now Facebook page where you’ll find a Free Printable of the Day and lots of inspiration and ideas for parenting and teaching! And please follow me on Pinterest (lots of Montessori-, holiday-, and theme-related boards), Twitter (blog posts by me and others along with the Parent/Teacher Daily and other interesting information), and Google+ (post updates and Montessori Community). You can find me on bloglovin’ now, too. I’m also a Parenting Expert on Sulia. Thank you for following me there. And don’t forget one of the best ways to follow me by signing up for my weekly newsletter in the right sidebar. You’ll get two awesome freebies in the process!
Linked to Tuesday Tots, The Mommy Club Resources and Solutions at Milk and Cuddles and Crystal & Co., The Weekly Kid’s Co-op, Ultimate Mom Resources, Hearts for Home Blog Hop, Learn & Link, TGIF Linky Party, Preschool Corner, Sharing Saturday, Saturday Show & Tell, Share It Saturday, Show-and-Share Saturday, The Sunday Showcase, Link & Learn, Afterschool Express