Updated for August 2014 (For a list with changing dates merged with the monthly list, see my August 2014 Calendar Observances and Activities.)
Today, I’m sharing my calendar of August themed activities for kids. You’ll find all my unit studies and holiday posts listed by themes in my “Should You Use Unit Studies?” post. Here you’ll find lots of themes for August according to holiday or calendar observances.
You’ll find more links for calendar observances in my “Enliven Your Homeschool with Some Calendar Fun” post. The post has links to resources for calendar observances for any level. I’m especially focusing here on August themes for preschoolers through early elementary, although I’ve added some calendar observances for pre-teens and teens.
Note: Be sure to click the images in my Memetales photo collage. You’ll go to the post containing the image!
Summer and Back-to-School Themes
Monthly Observances for August
Monthly observances can be used for themed activities throughout the month or for one or two weeks during the month.
- Admit You’re Happy Month
- American Adventures Month
- American Artist Appreciation Month – Montessori-Inspired Art Appreciation and Art Appreciation and Creation for Kids
- Black Business Month
- National Catfish Month
- Children’s Eye Health and Safety Month
- Children’s Vision and Learning Month
- National Eye Exam Month
- Family Fun Month
- Get Ready for Kindergarten Month – Montessori-Inspired Kindergarten Readiness Activities
- National Goat Cheese Month
- National Golf Month
- Happiness Happens Month – Go on a Smile Hunt with Your Child, August is Happiness Happens Month!
- National Immunization Awareness Month
- National Inventors Month
- Neurosurgery Outreach Month
- National Peach Month – Montessori-Inspired Fruit Unit
- National Sandwich Month
- National Spinal Muscular Atrophy Awareness Month
- Water Quality Month
- What Will Be Your Legacy Month – Help Your Child Create Unforgettable Cards and Gifts through Digital Scrapbooking and Digital Scrapbooking Software.
August Calendar Observances with Changing Dates
- August 3-9, 2014: National Exercise with Your Child Week – Montessori-Inspired Movement Activities
- August 3, 2014: Friendship Day (1st Sunday of August) – Friendship Flower Activities
- August 3, 2014: Sisters Day (1st Sunday of August)
- August 3, 2014: International Forgiveness Day (1st Sunday of August)
- August 3, 2014: American Family Day (first Sunday in August )
- August 4, 2014: Australia Picnic Day (first Monday in August)
- August 10: Shark Week Starts on The Discovery Channel – Shark Unit Study
- August 16, 2014: International Homeless Animals Day (third Saturday in August)
Calendar observances are great for mini units or even units that might last the whole month.
- August 1-7: Simplify Your Life Week – It’s Time to Simplify (This is really more for parents than kids, but you could definitely include your kids!)
- August 1-7: National Clown Week – Circus Unit Study Pinterest Board
- August 1: Francis Scott Key Born, 1779 – Kids’ Patriotic Activities Pinterest Board
- August 2: First Lincoln Penny Issued, 1909 – Montessori-Inspired Activities Teaching about Money and Presidents, Montessori-Inspired President’s Day Activities, Free Presidents’ Day Printables and Montessori-Inspired Presidents’ Day Activities
- August 2: National Ice Cream Sandwich Day
- August 3: Watermelon Day – Montessori-Inspired Fruit Unit
- August 3-9: National Exercise with Your Child Week – Montessori-Inspired Movement Activities
- August 4: U.S. Coast Guard Day – Montessori-Inspired Ocean Unit, Montessori-Inspired Beach Language Activities, Montessori-Inspired Resources for World Oceans Day, Montessori-Inspired Ocean Math Activities, Shark Unit Study, Montessori-Inspired Turtle Activities, Ocean Unit Study Pinterest Board
- August 4: Barack Obama Born, 1961
- August 5: Neil Armstrong Born, 1930 – Astronaut Unit, Montessori-Inspired Moon Unit
- August 5: Work Like a Dog Day
- August 6: Wiggle Your Toes Day
- August 7: National Lighthouse Day
- August 8: Happiness Happens Day – August is Happiness Happens Month!
- August 8: Dollar Day (US dollar was created in 1786)
- August 9: Book Lover’s Day – How to Help Your Child Treasure Books, Montessori-Inspired Ideas for Enjoying Books with Your Child or Students
- August 9: Smokey Bear’s Birthday, 1944 –Community Helpers Activity Trays and Sensory Tubs, Free Fire Safety Printables and Montessori-Inspired Fire Safety Activities, Community Helpers Pinterest Board.
- August 10: World Lion Day
- August 10: Lazy Day
- August 10: National S’mores Day
- August 11: Don Freeman Born, 1908 (For a thorough children’s author birthday calendar, see the right sidebar of Happy Birthday Author) – Montessori-Inspired Teddy Bear Activities
- August 11: Play in the Sand Day – Simple Excavation Sensory Tubs
- August 11: Son and Daughter Day – How to Help Each of Your Children Feel Special
- August 12: Middle Child’s Day
- August 13: International Lefthanders Day
- Auugst 14: V-J Day
- August 14: World Lizard Day
- August 15: Relaxation Day
- August 15: Transcontinental Railroad Completed, 1869.
- August 16: National Tell a Joke Day
- August 16: Roller Coaster Day
- August 17: Davy Crockett Born, 1786
- August 18: Bad Poetry Day – Montessori-Inspired Poetry Activities
- August 19: National Aviation Day (Orville Wright Born, 1871) – Montessori-Inspired Transportation Unit
- August 19: National Potato Day – Montessori-Inspired Vegetable Unit
- August 20: National Lemonade Day – Montessori-Inspired Food Preparation for Preschoolers, Kids’ Food Fun Pinterest Board
- August 20: World Mosquito Day – Montessori-Inspired Insect Unit
- August 20: Bill Clinton Born, 1946.
- August 21: National Senior Citizens Day – Kindness Projects Pinterest Board
- August 22: Be an Angel Day – How to Help Your Kids Develop Compassion through Service Projects, Simple Ways to Make a Difference in the World
- August 22: National Tooth Fairy Day (and/or February 28) – Montessori-Inspired Dental Health Unit
- August 23: Mexico Gained Its Independence, 1821 – Montessori-Inspired Spanish Activities, Montessori-Inspired Snowman Spanish Color Activity, Montessori-Inspired Little Passports Activities – Mexico, Montessori-Inspired Color Tablets, Yarn Balls, and Spanish Colors, Free Spanish Printables and Montessori-Inspired Spanish Color Activities, Foreign Language for Kids Pinterest Board, Kids’ Cinco de Mayo Activities Pinterest Board
- August 23: Ride the Wind Day – Free Kite Printables and Montessori-Inspired Kite Activities
- August 24: National Waffle Day
- August 24: Mount Vesuvius Erupted, 79 A.D.
- August 25-31: Be Kind to Humankind Week – Kindness Projects for Children and Adults of All Ages
- August 26: Women’s Equality Day (anniversary of women getting the right to vote – the signing of the 19th Amendment, 1920)
- August 26: National Dog Day – Montessori Care of Pets, Montessori-Inspired Pet Activities
- August 27: Mother Teresa Born, 1910 – How to Help Your Kids Develop Compassion through Service Projects, Simple Ways to Make a Difference in the World
- August 28: Dream Day (Martin Luther King Jr. gave his “I Have a Dream” speech, 1963) – Montessori-Inspired Respect for Diversity
- August 30: National Toasted Marshmallow Day
- August 31: Maria Montessori Born, 1870 – About Montessori, Montessori Resources, ABCs of Montessori
- August 31: Trail Mix Day – 100-Piece Trail Mix in Montessori-Inspired 100th Day of School Activities
Are you planning to use any themed activities in August?
If this is your first time visiting Living Montessori Now, welcome! If you haven’t already, please join us on our Living Montessori Now Facebook page where you’ll find a Free Printable of the Day and lots of inspiration and ideas for parenting and teaching! And please follow me on Pinterest (lots of Montessori-, holiday-, and theme-related boards), Twitter (blog posts by me and others along with the Parent/Teacher Daily and other interesting information), and Google+ (post updates and Montessori Community). You can find me on bloglovin’ now, too. I’m also a Parenting Expert on Sulia. Thank you for following me there. And don’t forget one of the best ways to follow me by signing up for my weekly newsletter in the right sidebar. You’ll get two awesome freebies in the process!
Linked to Tuesday Tots, The Mommy Club Resources and Solutions at Milk and Cuddles and Crystal & Co., The Weekly Kid’s Co-op, Ultimate Mom Resources, Hearts for Home Blog Hop, Learn & Link, TGIF Linky Party, Preschool Corner, Sharing Saturday, Saturday Show & Tell, Share It Saturday, Show-and-Share Saturday, The Sunday Showcase, Link & Learn, Afterschool Express